Chapter 10: Something About 'Alaric'

Start from the beginning

"Hey, Aunt Jenna." She cheekily smiled.

Aunt Jenna stood up and hugged her niece. A reaction Havana didn't expect. "Hey, you! Elena and Jeremy didn't mention that you'll be back today. How was my brother, or should I say your dad?  Is Australia still as beautiful as they say? I'm planning to take a trip soon."

"Uh...umm.." Havana was utterly confused.

"They told me that you were visiting the folks down under." She explained, then narrowed her eyes at her niece. "Or was that just an excuse for you to be missing for a couple of weeks?"

Havana's mouth formed into an 'o' catching up with her cousins' lies "No no no! Everything's fine. My family's doing great, they missed you though! I'm sorry I left without saying goodbye. I was...um..homesick."

Jenna nodded not fully convinced. She was about to say something else but her eyes landed on Alaric. "What are you doing here? Coming clean to more lies about Isobel?" She crossed her arms.

Alaric looked lost and unsure of how to respond. "Okay, awkward. I'm going to take a shower now." Havana stepped over the debris of the china vase and ran up the stairs. "Oh, and Ric! Wait for me before you go to work." before the two adults could ask why she slammed the bathroom door shut.

Jenna's attention turned back to 'Alaric'. She was still mad. Oh boy, Klaus inwardly rolled his eyes.

------------

The cold water ran through Havana's back sending a shiver down her spine. But she didn't mind, she preferred cold water rather than warm. Turning the knob slightly, she adjusted the temperature until her body got used to the coolness of the water softly splashing on her naked body. Countless thoughts circled in Havana's mind such as Alaric's strange behavior, her apology to Damon for using his beloved Chevy, and unemployment. She pushed these thoughts back, the dryness of her throat bothered her. The thirst for a drop of alcohol hadn't left Havana's mind since the minute she woke. The hole in her heart was still present, but it didn't hurt as much compared to a couple of weeks ago. She still couldn't believe that Nik-her Nik- was just using her. Havana closed her eyes leaning her head on the tiles. Oh, I need a drink-NO!- I am stronger than this. I will not allow myself to succumb to his games. Before any more unwanted thoughts entered her mind, Havana rinsed her hair and got out of the shower. I need to control myself.

Havana repeated this as she got dressed for the day. Alaric was already late for work, so she threw in the first articles of clothing she saw. She wore a baby blue halter dress that ended midcalves paired with nude heels. She put on minimal makeup and wore her hair down. Havana was finally finished. On the inside, she was clapping at her achievement. This wasn't her usual style but it was perfect for a job interview. Glancing at her wristwatch, she knew that she and Alaric better leave now.

 Glancing at her wristwatch, she knew that she and Alaric better leave now

Walking down the stairs, Havana expected to hear shouting or glass shattering

Walking down the stairs, Havana expected to hear shouting or glass shattering. Instead, Jenna was massaging Alaric's back. Jenna's eyes were blank, just like most of Damon's women of the week. Her face scrunched up in confusion. Never in Aunt Jenna's life had she ever done that. This day keeps on getting weirder and weirder. Oh well, at least they made up. Alaric was the first one to notice her descend down the stairs. His facial expression changed from boredom into complete awe in a few short seconds. Jenna too looked surprised.

"What? Oh gosh, is there something in my face?" The young woman frantically checked the mirror beside her.

"No," Jenna answered. "It's just that you look-"

"-different." 'Alaric' finished. Klaus had to admit, he loved Havana's carefree summer style. But this one seemed to highlight how elegant and classy she was. It was torture for him not to kiss those plump red lips of hers right now.

"I take that as a compliment. Thank you." Havana blushed, "Now c'mon, Principle Ledger is gonna kill you." She pulled him outside. "Bye Jenna!" She called out to her aunt before closing the front door.

As they walked towards Alaric's car, he asked: "Why am I driving you to where I work again?"