Part 2 - Chapter 40

When I arrived on the beach of Camp Okanagan, it was empty. The clock atop the waterfront cabin read 6:08 a.m. Breakfast was at 7:30 a.m. I had time, but not much. I removed the treasure from the canoe with some difficulty, and put the canoe back on the rack. Then I dragged my treasure across the beach, doing my best to cover my path as I went, and made my way to Max's cabin.

Though breakfast was over an hour away, I expected to find people walking along the path. Kitchen staff and councilors on watch duty, for instance. So I had to make my way to Max's cabin off the path, slowly and carefully through the woods. I got lost at points. I was starved and tired. But eventually I found Max's Cabin, and snuck in.

Max was asleep when I entered. I dragged the treasure as softly as I could across the floor to a discreet corner of the cabin, and then tiptoed to the bathroom. I thought it best that I freshen up, as much as I could, before I woke him. If I stood over Max's bed covered in mud, he may think I'm a creature from the deep, rather than a friend who could make him quite wealthy, if only he co-operated.

I took off my clothes, and washed in the sink. Then I toweled off and changed into Max's pajamas—the same one's I wore the night before. Then I walked to Max's bed. He was sound asleep. His bedside clock read 6:48 a.m. I took a deep breath. This was it. The last step of the journey.

'Max,' I whispered, gently placing my hand on his shoulder. 'Max.'

He turned to me, opening his eyes. He wasn't surprised or scared to see me. In fact, it seemed like he was expecting me. Like I had never left. I was grateful for it. Part of me worried that I was so dirty from mud and stink, so desperate from hunger and fatigue, that I'd make a bad first impression. Evidently not.

'Hey, man.' Max said. 'What time is it?'

'Almost 7:00,' I said.

Max looked at his clock and groaned. Then he turned back to me. 'Back from your treasure hunt?' He asked.

'Yeah,' I said. 'Can you give me a lift back to Kinnard? I'm just too tired to bike.'

'Sure,' he said. 'We'll leave after breakfast.'

'Amazing, thanks man.'

Just like that, Max agreed to take me home. I didn't even have to tell him about the treasure, or offer to split it with him. He didn't even ask. Like he assumed I never found it. Like I made the whole thing up. Still, I couldn't contain myself. I had to tell him. I knew it would be better if I didn't. But I just had to.

'Guess what?' I said, coolly. 'I found it, the treasure.'

'Oh, no way.' Max said. 'That's cool.'

"Yup, it's right over there.' I pointed to the box across the cabin.

'Great job, man.' His response was underwhelming in the extreme.

'Do you have any idea how much that's worth?' I asked.

'How much?'

'Millions!' I said.

'That's great, dude. If you can really get that much, I want a piece.'

It was amazing. He still didn't believe me. He literally had a treasure chest under his nose. Yet he didn't see the value in it. That was an important lesson. Great moments don't happen with fireworks, a band and three cheers. Life's not a movie. Great moments seem just like any other, on the outside. No one's waiting, ready to give you keys to the city. Nobody's gonna understand or acknowledge your accomplishment until it just can't be ignored. In this case, Max could still ignore me. I hadn't turned the treasure into a penny.