Part 2 - Chapter 36

36 

With the storm raging outside, I hardly noticed Max walk in the cabin, a container of spaghetti in his hands. Despite his jacket and boots, Max was soaked. Water dripped from his hair and nose.

'Holy hell!' he said, shaking off the rain like a dog.

'Welcome back!' I responded.

'Thanks, it's crazy out there.'

'Pretty cozy in here, though.' I said. 'Thanks again for letting me stay.'

'No problem. Here—' Max handed me the container of spaghetti and a plastic fork. "I brought you dinner. Hope you like meat-sauce.'

'I'd eat anything. Thanks dude.'

I took the container and fork, and dug in. I'd forgotten how hungry I was. Boy, did that spaghetti hit the spot.

'What're you reading?' he asked.

'It's, uh, The Grand Adventure of Dmitri Waltz.' I said, saucy noodles falling from my face. 'Heard of it?'

'Didn't we read that in Grade 9?'

'Yupp,' I responded.

'Such a boring book. Never finished it.'

'Yeah' I laughed. 'I thought so too. But I tried reading it again outside school, and it's actually pretty good.'

'Whatever you say, boss. I'm gonna take a shower. Anyway, what's your plan?'

'I hadn't thought that far ahead. Can we talk about it after your shower?' I asked. 'I'll think of something.'

'Sounds good man,' Max said. He changed out of his wet clothes, and walked into the bathroom.

What was my plan? I closed the book and considered my options. I didn't have many. It was late and pouring. When would I leave for the treasure? I was here on borrowed time. The longer I stayed with Max, the more likely I'd get found out. Worse, in the meantime, Bella might find the treasure. The storm showed little sign of letting up. Could I go alone? That would be awfully dangerous.

Max returned from the shower in his pajamas.

'Look, we're matching,' I said, pointing to the PJs I borrowed from Max and was now wearing.

'I guess so,' he laughed. 'Look, I don't want to rush you, but I also don't want to get in trouble. How long are you thinking of staying? You can sleep here tonight, but in the morning you gotta figure something out.'

'No problem, I'll leave first thing tomorrow.' I had quickly formed a plan, but it needed careful execution. 'Any idea what to do the rest of the night?'

'I dunno' he said. 'Wanna play cards?'

'Yeah, let's do it. Texas Hold'em?'

'Sounds great,' Max said. 'Like when we were kids.'

We made a table by placing a square board of wood on top of the garbage can, just like we used to do as campers. The rain continued to pour. The windows were splattered with mud. As Max dealt, I thought what a full circle this trip had become. I had changed so much since being a kid at camp. I biked across a province, for heaven's sake. Yet here I was, playing the same game we played years ago, at the same kind of table as years ago, and maybe I wasn't such a different person from years ago, after all.

I looked at my cards. They were trash.

'I raise 25 cents,' Max said. We weren't playing for money—it's just how we called the poker chips.