Rory nods in response, Hayley turning on her heel to lead them just a few doors past Hope's room. Klaus enters the bedroom first, stripping off his shirt as he steps into the bathroom. Rory pauses at the door, turning to face the brunette.

"Hayley, I—"

"—I know what you're about to say," Hayley interjects. "And it's okay, Rory."

"It's not," Rory gnaws on her bottom lip. "It's not easy, you know. Being a single parent. My aunt Jenna..." Rory trails off. "She struggled with raising my siblings and I all the time, and I could see how it took a toll on her. And she was all on her own. And whether it was on a technicality or not, I took away Hope's father and I took away your support system. And I'm sorry for that."

"Hey," Hayley smiles, holding the back of Rory's neck. "If Marcel had given me the same opportunity that was given to you, I would've made the same choice that you did. Everyone else is mad at you right now, but I think they know that wouldn't choose any different. So don't apologise for keeping yourself alive, Rory. I think you've sacrificed enough for this family, don't you think?"

Rory can't form a proper response, but in the end, she nods. Hayley brushes a hair from Rory's face, giving her a wink as she turns to walk away. Rory sighs, closing the door behind her. She hears the shower running from inside the bathroom, signalling that Klaus was probably taking a well-deserved hot shower.

Rory strips off her dress and undergarments, slipping into the bathroom. She closes the door behind her, pulling aside the shower curtain. Klaus lifts his head, giving her a smile as she steps under the shower head.

"This is a surprise," Klaus comments as Rory looks up at him. "Not an unwelcome one, if I'm being honest."

Rory wraps her arms around Klaus' neck, tugging him downwards to press her lips against his. Klaus' hand curls over the bare skin of Rory's waist, deepening the kiss almost immediately. Rory's fingers curve into his wet hair, tugging him downwards as he presses her back against the shower wall.

"I love you," Rory breathes against his mouth, her chest rising and falling as she tries to catch her breath.

"I love you," Klaus traces his thumb over the top of her cheekbone. He kisses her again, and again, and again. His fingers dig into her skin, his grip slowly tightening. Rory doesn't mind it—it's been five years since she's last felt his touch. "You were the only thing keeping me sane."

Rory pulls away the slightest bit, her eyes meeting his. "Did you ever...did you ever hate me?" she asks quietly. There's an insecure tinge to her voice that she absolutely loathes, but she's spent half a decade psyching herself out.

"Never," Klaus' hand slips into her hair, cupping the back of her neck. "I've never hated you, Rory. Not for a second," Klaus' words are sincere, his gaze softening. "I know you did what you did to keep me alive—to keep my family alive. Five years away from Hope is nothing compared to the eternity that we would've been apart if Marcel had his way."

"I just didn't...I didn't want to lose anybody else," Rory whispers. "It was the only way I could think of—"

Klaus cuts off her sentence with another kiss, pulling her closer (if that were even physically possible at this rate). His fingers trace over the curve of her shoulder, slipping down her arm.

"Don't think I did not think of your sacrifice as well," Klaus murmurs, lowering his head to press a kiss against Rory's neck. "Five years in New Orleans, all by yourself. Even with Kai, it could not have been easy with Marcel in charge. And I know you tried very hard to help Hayley in finding the cure for his bite, despite knowing the dangers that awaited you if you were to be found out."