𝟏𝟎

𝐃𝐄𝐒𝐂𝐄𝐍𝐓﹙ 𝒂𝒄𝒕 𝒕𝒘𝒐, 𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒕𝒆𝒏 ﹚࿐ ࿔ ✧˖*°▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

𝐃𝐄𝐒𝐂𝐄𝐍𝐓
﹙ 𝒂𝒄𝒕 𝒕𝒘𝒐, 𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒕𝒆𝒏 ﹚
࿐ ࿔ ✧˖*°
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Rory almost expects to wake up and see Elena or Katherine sitting in front of her again. Her eyes register to the surroundings of the room she's in, and thankfully, she no longer hears the faint thrum of machinery. She doesn't smell the pungent smell of hybrid blood any longer, and she doesn't feel her neck prickle with blisters from werewolf venom.

She turns her head to the left, seeing Klaus asleep beside her. His lips are parted, soft snores leaving his mouth. He looks a lot younger when he's asleep—Rory finds him endearing. It's easy to forget that Klaus is the Original hybrid, one of the most dangerous beings in the world. Known for his merciless ways and short temper, Klaus doesn't look like the monster people would say he was when he's asleep.

"What's that you told me about that Cullen fellow and being creepy when he stares at women while they sleep?" Klaus' eyes don't open, but a small smirk grows on his lips as he realises Rory's eyes focused on him. Rory doesn't reply, and Klaus takes the silence as a sign to lock gazes with her. He lifts his arm, cupping Rory's face in his hand. "How are you feeling?"

"You're always asking me that," Rory comments, not unkindly. She nestles her cheek against his palm, pressing a soft kiss against the underside of his wrist. "I'm fine. How about you?"

"Well, if we're all being honest. . ." Klaus trails off. He pushes himself into a sitting position, resting his weight on his elbow. His hand lifts from Rory's face to brush aside a strand of hair. ". . .Still having trouble believing that you're here."

"What, do you want me to go?" Rory teases.

"Definitely not," Klaus says seriously. "I was just. . ." he traces his thumb against Rory's bottom lip. His eyes search her own. His gaze is full of emotion and unspoken words. "I was very worried about you. I thought I lost you—for good. I wasn't prepared. . . how does one prepare—"

"—Klaus, I'm fine," Rory interjects. "I promise, I'm okay. It was. . . it was scary, I have to admit, but I'm okay. I'm here."

"Barely," Klaus argues. "You barely got out of there alive. If I hadn't gotten to you in time. You were practically. . ." Klaus clenches his jaw. He can't even muster the will to say it—saying it makes it seem all too real, but he knows he has to. He exhales after a second. "You were already dead."

"Hey," Rory whispers softly as she sits up. She pulls the covers up against her chest, tucking a hair behind her ear. "Klaus, I'm fine. I know last night was a little scary, and. . . and a little insane, even for me, but I promise you that I'm fine. And I don't want to talk about what could've happened; it doesn't matter anymore. I'm safe. You saved me."

"I was almost too late," Klaus whispers.

"But you weren't," Rory places a hand over his, squeezing gently. "Can we just forget about the technicalities?"