𝟎𝟖

𝐃𝐄𝐒𝐂𝐄𝐍𝐓﹙ 𝒂𝒄𝒕 𝒕𝒘𝒐, 𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒆𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕 ﹚࿐ ࿔ ✧˖*°▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

𝐃𝐄𝐒𝐂𝐄𝐍𝐓
﹙ 𝒂𝒄𝒕 𝒕𝒘𝒐, 𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒆𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕 ﹚
࿐ ࿔ ✧˖*°
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Rory rouses to the smell of human blood. She shifts under the blankets, a confused frown growing on her face. She's disoriented due to just waking up, but she knows blood when she smells it. And it's pungent, almost like it was being held under her nose. Her eyes adjust to the darkness of the bedroom, her arm reaching out to nudge Klaus awake. Could she be imagining things?

Her hand falls against the blanket, and she feels something damp. Thick and warm. And she knows what it is. She isn't imagining things. It's blood. Blood, human blood.

"Nik," Rory stammers. "Nik!"

Klaus shifts on his side of the bed, mumbling incoherently. "What is it?"

"I smell blood," Rory swallows the lump in her throat. She doesn't know if it's fright or hunger. "I smell human blood."

It takes Klaus five seconds to dart into action. He clambers off the bed, rushing to the other side of the room where the switch for the lights is. And then the room is illuminated, and Rory sees Cami's dead body lying in front of her, her throat slit from ear to ear.

And then she screams.

She screams until her throat burns, because she hadn't even noticed Cami's body weighing on top of her legs. Klaus rushes to her side, pulling her head against his chest to hide the sight of her friend's corpse, but it was too late. She had already seen.

A moment later, Kai and Elijah burst through the doors. Kai has a fire poker in his hands, his hair mussed on the top of his head. Elijah looks alarmed, and both their expressions dim upon seeing the sight that awaited them.

"What the hell happened?" Kai questions, stepping into the room. He examines Cami's body in slight curiosity, tilting his head.

"I can't breathe," Rory gasps out as she shoves herself away from Klaus' grip. She staggers towards the balcony, throwing the doors open as she gulps in mouthfuls of fresh air. She looks down at her hands and her palms are stained with blood—Cami's blood.

The fact that she feels an itch in her gums makes her want to regurgitate.

"How the hell did this happen?" she hears Klaus talking from inside the bedroom, pacing back and forth. "Did no one hear anything?"

"I was awake, brother. I hadn't heard anything—not a peep," Elijah informs, his arms crossed over his chest. "In fact, I came across Cami down the hall just a few moments ago. She told me she was getting a glass of water."

"Are you saying that she did this to herself, then?" Klaus snaps.

"Well, I don't see anybody else in the place," Kai shrugs.