3.2 || Cruising ||

Dinner that night was taken without all the joy Alwold had in the afternoon. Garron didn't question him of it either; he was simply unable to let go of the fact that Alwold could've gone lost. Hale, however, no matter what the situation, was indulging heavily in the buffet.

Square tables with chairs were laid in the white dining hall with families eating together. Two grand doors, one for entering and leaving were open on either side. Occasionally, a queue of hungry eaters would form near every table of platters, serving themselves a spoon of rich delicacies arrayed neatly on metal trays and stands.

The three of them were sitting at a mahogany table with three chairs on three sides, their plates overlaid with colourful and delicious food. Hale had however skipped soon to the dessert and was now finding it hard to eat. Her plate had to be taken away with two canapés and a swiss roll uneaten.

Alwold on the other hand only tasted a small portion of everything available that looked appealing to the eye (he avoided the sweets that looked like lemur-heads, though they were only plainly chocolate). He eyed all his way across the array of sweets and came to a platter of desserts in tiny cups when he noticed a white hand placing a cheesecake on his plate. Alarmed, he saw who the hand belonged to: a middle-aged man with a brilliant white uniform with golden buttons and a badge on his chest pocket and wearing a sailor's hat stood before him with one hand behind him.

"Try the cheesecake, I heard it was very good," he said. His voice was coarse, but pleasant, in a way that the harshness didn't sound harsh at all.

"Oh, thanks. I was only trying a piece of everything here," said Alwold with intended politeness.

He nodded and walked away with a flash of smile. Alwold with his plate half-filled with desserts sat down with his eyes fixed on him, who was meeting and having a word with every passenger he saw.

"Grampi?" asked Alwold, still his eyes not away from him, "is that the ship's captain over there?"

Garron turned his chewing face towards where Alwold was eyeing.

"Yes, that's him. Why?"

"He spoke to me," said Alwold, looking at his grandfather.

Hale nearly choked.

"He spoke to you?" she asked, surprised, and threw her glances everywhere in search of him.

"Yeah, and he said me to try this cheesecake."

Hale shot out of her chair to get her hands on one of them, convincing herself that one tiny cheesecake wouldn't be difficult to eat. But Alwold, while quietly indulging his dessert noticed Garron staring at the captain wherever he went.

"He looks dashing in that uniform, doesn't he?" said Alwold.

Garron's eyes tore away from the captain and landed on his grandson.

"Oh, yes, he looks very smart," said Garron, laughing indifferently. "But there's something about him that makes me think that—"

"He looks familiar?" Alwold completed for him.

"Why yes. Odd that I can't recall where I've seen him," he said drumming his fingers on the table.

"He reminds me of you."

Garron looked instinctively at Alwold, as in a gesture of gratitude, but held back from expressing anything but a smile.

The same night, Alwold forced himself to avoid the thoughts of his dream and sleep instead. Because a holiday without all the joy is a holiday annoyed. And at the current moment, that was what he felt—annoyed at the irresolute abstractions from his stubborn mind. Tomorrow was another day, and hopefully, he might get to do some sightseeing at dolphins or watch a whale jump from the surface. Besides, he had to try his best to keep his grandfather out of worry by sharing his troubles with him too. At this rate, all he could do was bury down all the befuddlement deep down and not think about it again.