Chapter Thirty Four, Forgiveness

The past three days have been spent fully and completely with Aaron. He finally learned to stand up on a surf board for more than two seconds. He got to experience a night at The Blue's. He even admitted that Rodan's might be the best food he's ever tasted.

So now...watching him pull his suitcase out of the trunk in front of the airport hurts a little more than I'm ready for.

"Hale, I'm not going off to war," he sighs when he sees my teary eyes.

"I know," I choke out.

"Come here." He sits his suitcase down and pulls me into his chest. His strong arms engulf me, and I hold onto him tighter than I ever have.

It's not that I believe I'll never see him again, it's just that he's the one solid thing I have to hold onto when everything else turns to shit. He's my anchor, my life raft, and I'm not ready to sink.

"I'll come visit you as soon as you get settled in New York, and you can come stay with me on breaks, and we can go home together on holidays...it's going to be okay, Hale," he murmurs into my hair.

I try not to wet his T-shirt too much with my tears, so taking a breath, I pull back and look up into his perfect, handsome face.

"You better not get a girl pregnant," I joke. "I'm not above fighting a baby for first place in your life."

His smile is blinding. "You know I would make some damn cute babies though."

I shake my head instead of answering, not about to admit how many times I'd envisioned what our children would look like.

"You're going to miss your flight." I nod to the airport doors.

"And who's fault would that be?" He gives me a pointed stare, but I play innocent. On the way here, I may have driven a little slower than lawfully recommended in hopes that I'd get a few more hours with him.

He suppresses a grin and pulls me to him once more. His addictive scent cocoons me, and his warmth blankets my entire body. I memorize every part of it before it ends all too soon.

He doesn't pull completely away though. Instead, his caramel eyes melt my insides as his hands move to hold my face tenderly. I grip his forearms before I can puddle at his feet.

I don't wait for words because his eyes say it all. I love you.

It doesn't surprise me when his face inches closer, but it still takes my breath away when his lips touch mine.

It's not a passionate kiss, but more of a sweet goodbye between two best friends not quite ready to let go.

Eventually, we do though. With promises to call everyday with life updates, and trips half assed planned to visit each other, we let go.

Watching him walk into the airport doesn't hurt though. Not even when he turns and blows a kiss and a wink to me. Because I know Aaron will always be a rock in my life. No matter how hard the waves throw me, he'll always be there to keep me afloat.

~~~

When I return, dinner is being served, and a seat between Alice and Shaina has been saved for me.

The dinner is uneventful, everyone laughs and converses like the family we are, but my heart sinks with setting sun. I don't say much while I eat, and I excuse myself the first chance I get.

I need some air. Some space to breathe.

My toes sink in the sand as I walk the shoreline. A soft breeze ruffles my hair, and the last of the sun's rays warm my skin.