Chapter Twenty Four, Transparency

"You're an ass," I say and throw as much water Mason's way as I possibly can. He nearly drowned me seconds ago, and I'm feeling a bit unforgiving today.

"Don't be such a guppy. I barely splashed you," he says in a bored tone, but I can see the hint of a smile on his lips. It only makes my glare stonier.

"You set fucking Katrina on me."

He laughs this time, probably at the way my hair sticks to every part of my face more so than my wit. He gives me one more glance before diving under the next wave and paddling further out to sea.

I glower at his retreating figure as I push the sandy strands of hair off my face and neck. Mason and I have been alarmingly platonic. The lantern festival was a sort of turning tide for us. Ever since then there's been little to no hostility. Sure, at times like this, I'd love nothing more than to shave his head while he's asleep, but the harsh edges of our relationship have ebbed significantly.

In the past week we've binged his show, went to Rodan's with Alice and Hayden, I even helped him construct an "easy let down" text to his latest fling. I'm still trying to configure how he finds these girls. He barely leaves the house.

And now, per his request over breakfast, we're surfing. Well, he's surfing. I'm semi not falling off my board.

I swallow the curse words rising in my throat when my fingers peel a piece of seaweed out of the tangled clumps of my hair.

"You don't have to fix your hair to impress me, Emery..." Mason yells from his board. "It looks shit like always." His laugh echoes over the waters surface, and my fingers fall from the grainy pieces as my eyes slice through him. Nevertheless, I paddle toward him.

As much as I don't want to admit it, Mason's been a really great teacher. At first, the pit in my stomach that had shrunk remarkably in the passing days resurfaced head strong. Memories of Alex and I that morning on the water coming to full face. I almost gave into its weight, but a few smart offs from Mason had the competitor in me ready to prove to him I could still do this.

"Is it always going to take you this long to paddle out here?" He sits high on his board as I pull myself up next to him.

"Sorry, not all of us sprinkle steroids on our cereal."

He scoffs. "This is all natural baby. Plus, I would never do anything to hurt the size of..." He glances down at the crotch of his wet suit. "Well, you know."

The smug smirk on his face is enough for me to push down the heat rising to my cheeks.

"Yeah, wouldn't want to lose any off those three inches."

His face falls flat instantly. I can sense his intentions before his muscles can even twitch, and I use it to my advantage. My foot surges through the water to the under side of his board and with all the force I can muster, I push up. The surprise throws him off guard, and I watch in slow motion as he tumbles over into the water.

My laughter is the first chorus he hears as he emerges. I know he wants to kill me, and it only makes me laugh harder. I vaguely hear Alice join in from the shore.

Mason's stone cold glare doesn't waver as he pulls himself back up onto his board. He pushes the hair out of his face as I'd done moments ago. At least he doesn't have sand engrained in his scalp.

"Truce?" I reach my hand out with only a giggle still alive.

I should have seen it coming. I should have been smarter. I don't even blame this one on him. He grips my hand, and before I can let out a scream pulls me back into the water. This time I manage to take him back under with me though. We both come up with a cough.