Chapter 22: Jacob

Start from the beginning

"It means you get to pick your favorite tree," he says.

I already know what he's going to do. "I don't like trees."

He reaches into his bag and pulls out the rope I'm all too familiar with. "Then I'm afraid you may find this a little awkward."

I step back, but his hand lands on my shoulder. He ties the rope around one wrist.

"You're an ass," I grumble.

"That hurt," he mocks, pushing my chest against a tree. The rope is wrapped around the trunk and attached to my other wrist, forcing me to hug it. There's no slack. I can't even sit down.

I glare at him as best I can as he climbs back on Mittens. He joins the other men. They move side-by-side, forming a front.

I wobble around the tree to try get a better angle.

The line stops advancing. I can only partially see the mass of vampires through the woods. They have their swords drawn. Is this the battle? It can't be. How could it just come out of nowhere? I can't spend the whole battle tied up!

I pull against the rope, but it does nothing but bite into my skin.

A loud roar cracks through the air. I stand on my toes to try see what's going on. They're charging. The horsemen are the first to go, quickly followed by the men on foot. Wherever Rahlan is, he's indistinguishable from the roaring mass.

I need to get out of here. This is supposed to be my chance. I can't climb the tree. There's no leverage. If only my one hand could reach the other, I could untie these damn knots.

I bend my arm around as much as the rope allows, inspecting the knot from different angles. There's a loop which seems to hold the whole thing together.

A distance scream echoes through the forest. I need to hurry. I bend a piece of bark so it juts from the tree trunk and try force it through the middle of the knot. The bark breaks, leaving it embedded in the rope without loosening it.

I angle another piece of bark for a second try, but the sound of horses' hooves makes me freeze. I peer around the tree. They're riding back. It's over already? This army of vampires traveled for three days for a five-minute battle?

Rahlan and the others return, reforming the column. He jumps off Mittens. There's no trace of blood, which I'm grateful for.

"Is the battle over?" I ask.

"That was no battle." He frees my wrist. "That was just a warmup."

I turn my back to him and untie my other wrist before he can see the piece of bark wedged in the knot.

He lifts me up and places me back on Mittens. His hand snakes around my middle as he takes his seat behind me.

I stiffen at the sight of a familiar face – Marcus. He's in line with a bunch of new humans being dragged into the column. They're bound together, with their arms behind their backs and blood running from various wounds.

Marcus's gaze locks with mine. He's just as shocked to see me. He's from my village, and he travels everywhere with Jacob. The idea being that two are safer than one. Why isn't he in Fekby with my brother now?

"Something wrong?" Rahlan asks. His hand rests on my abdomen, no doubt able to feel my tension.

"I'm fine," I quickly avert my eyes, not wanting to draw any attention to Marcus.

The line resumes its course. I discreetly peer around the column, trying to spot Marcus's brown hair, but he's being led too far ahead of us.

A heavy bell begins in the distance. Clang clong clang clong. It rings and rings, getting louder with every step we take.