Chapter VII: "Gone so long."

Holly woke up in the middle of night, looking for something to snack and when she passed by the master's bedroom, she heard her mother, Emily, sobbing again.

Since Richard's business trip, she was crying every night and then the next day, she'll pretend that everything is perfectly fine. After her husband died, Holly's biological father, Richard was the one who was by her side, comforting her and eventually their relationship blossomed, and now they are engaged. He accepted Holly as his own daughter as she accepts Jaziah as her own too. She was trying her hardest to keep it together, even though Richard's been cold and distant, she doesn't want Holly to know because she doesn't want her to lose a father again.

In the morning, Emily cooked their breakfast while humming her favorite song then Holly taps her shoulder.

"Mom you were crying again, weren't you?"

"No, what are you talking about dear?" She smiled as she wipes her hands on her apron, "You got up early on a Sunday morning, do you have a club meeting again?"

"Y-Yeah, a meeting." Holly lied.

"What club?"

"Chess club." It's what she always use as an excuse, hoping that her mother would buy it.

"Hmm, these have been going on frequently." Emily squinted her eyes and this made Holly more tense than she already was.

"I-It's because—"

"Holly Dimaandal, don't overwork so much, you hear me? Look at youself, ang payat mo na gaya ng kapatid mo!" Emily scolded her and she sighed in response. Holly thought that she was gonna find out about Jaziah teaching her magic. (filipino-english translation: you've become so thin like your sister!)

"Mom, let's just eat." She helped her serve waffles and sausages on the dining table.

They were eating together, her mother giving her a lot of sausages that she couldn't try to eat in just one seating. Before they can finish their breakfast, Holly's phone vibrated on the table and she quickly grabbed it before Emily can take a look at the text message.

Jaziah:
Where the hell are you? I'm already here at the bus stop.

sent 8:02 a.m.

Holly:
Coming.

sent 8:03 a.m.

"Sorry I gotta go, I promise to eat more breakfast on the way." She kissed her cheek, "Oh and—"

"Yes dear?"

"—you are the strongest woman I've ever met mom." She hugged her then got out of the house.

Holly makes Jaziah wait on the bus stop because it was three blocks away from her house, away from her mother. This is the fourth time that Jaziah has been teaching her and Holly has learned quite a lot of useful spells. Every time they meet, she gets really pumped to learn but today was not her day. She was not a morning person like Jaziah, she was used to training at night, it messed up her body clock.

She sat on a bench, seeing no Dodge Charger but only a Harley Davidson motorcycle, she can recognize that costumed bike from anywhere, it was Samuel's.

"Holly?" Samuel called her then she looked back and there he was looking gorgeous as ever in a white shirt and acid washed jeans.

"Do you know where Jaziah is, she said she's here to give me a ride?" She finally spoke after embarrassingly gawking at him while he just laughs.

"What's so funny?"

"It looks I'm your ride, hop on." He got on first and waited for Holly.

"Can I h-hold you?" She squeaked a voice as he nods, her fingers were cold to his warm skin when she used his shoulder as a support to hop on.