[NINE.]

I fell into the arms of my brother, who, even after all of these years, still carried the same love for me as he had before his death. His arms held me tight as if any moment I could be torn away from him again.

I blubbered and yammered, muttering so many apologies and "I love you"s, all the words I had wanted to say to him after the accident. Everything came tumbling from my lips, from how I blamed myself to how sorry I was for what I had done to my promise to him to help. His grip loosened as he pulled away to meet my eyes, his hand pushing hair away from my tear stained face. He laughed a broken, heart wrenching laugh before shaking his head, tears streaming down his own face.

"You were forgiven a very long time ago. It was an accident, no matter what everyone else says. You know the truth and you must cling to it." Jude smiled and it reached his eyes, brightening them and warming my heart.

I nodded and wiped my eyes, pulling away from his embrace to look around the empty space we occupied. "What happens now?"

My brother stood beside me, arms folded across his chest as he raised an eyebrow at me. "Well, that depends on you."

"I just wanted to help Kai and prove to him that your grief can't define you, that you should and can move past your broken heart." I sighed, chin falling to my chest. "I failed him."

Jude chuckled and elbowed me, shaking his head. "You didn't fail him, stupid. He grew so much because of you."

"But now I'm gone, and it might break him even more."

"He's far stronger than you think, Y/n. Meeting you helped him. It helped heal him."

I slid to a sit, holding my head in my hands. "But I think I love him, Jude. He chose to be kind to me when he was angry and heartbroken. He let me in when I didn't deserve it. I needed him just as much as he needed me."

Silence ensued and after a moment, I looked up to see Jude crouched before me, hand outstretched. "I have someone you'll want to meet."

We walked into the light, which seemed to carry us nowhere. I waited, anxious yet curious all at the same time. The golden light swelled before falling again, a figure coming to stand before us. A girl, just a year younger than I was, with gorgeous black hair and a striking smile found my gaze and I gasped. I clapped a hand to my mouth as she ran to hug me, her embrace warm and welcoming.

"Thank you." She whispered to me and I nodded.

I pulled away from the embrace, looking over her kind face and shaking my head. "May I please relay a message from Kai, Nya?"

She chuckled and grabbed my hand to pull me down to sit. "Of course."

If time existed here, I'm sure we spent hours talking and laughing. My heart ached knowing that she and I would have made amazing friends if we had both lived long enough to see it. She spoke kindly of better times with Kai and her team, how they worked many times to save our world and would have given anything to protect us all. I told her tales of Jude and I, who hung back, watching, and of how I had come to be a detective. She listened to my story of the accident and placed a hand on mine when I fell into believing that it was my fault for everything. Nya recounted her death, of how she sacrificed herself to save her brother and friends, wanting the best for them more than anything. I told her of how they mourned and wept, hearts missing her. How Jay still loved her, how the team remembered her every day. We spoke of how she wanted more for them than weeping and mourning her, how she desperately wanted Kai to continue on in his life.

I told her how I died, wanting to give everything for Kai.

"I'm just sorry I couldn't do anything more." I dipped my head and sighed.

"But you did what you could. You did something amazing for my brother and that means everything to me." Nya places a hand on my shoulder and gave me a reassuring smile. "Thank you for showing him what it meant to love again."

"I just wish I could still be there for him now."

Nya and Jude shared a glance which made me confused. I frowned and stood, my gaze finding Jude's. His eyes avoided mine as Nya took my hand, pulling me towards my brother.

"Y/n, we're still in between this world and the next. There's still a chance you could go back." Nya said and I looked up, eyes wide in shock.

"Wait, what?" I looked to Jude who nodded.

"If this world were to be accessed from Ninjago as well, there's a chance you could cross back over."

"Hold on, Kai's crazy theory was right?!" I rubbed my face with a hand and shook my head as Nya laughed.

"Well, only those who wish to come back can. If you wish to go back and he wishes for you to come back, then it's possible."

I stepped back from them and shook my head. "No. I can't. He wants you back, Nya. I can't take that from him."

She stepped forward and took my hands in hers, meeting my gaze. "That's just the thing. I'm fine here. I've moved on to the next world and only came here to thank you. The boys are all okay without me because now they have you."

I tore my hands away and turned to my brother. "Jude, tell her. Tell her she's going back."

Jude shook his head no and gave a weak smile. "Sorry, sis. We can't. Besides, he wants you."

"What do I tell him?"

"Tell him that I love him and that he's stupid but that I'll be waiting for him whenever his time is."  Nya smiled and gave a nod.

I took a deep breath in, giving my brother one last hug. "I'm keeping my promise, Jude."

"I know you will."

A hug to Nya as well and I turned into the warm golden light as it swelled and a gap opened, golden streaks surrounding me.

I sucked in a breath and smiled.

"Hey, Kai."

"...Y/n?"