17.

Caleb
—————————

Julie asked me to meet her at Waffle King and that's something I couldn't pass up. Who passes up delicious fluffy pancakes? Yes I know it's called Waffle King but the pancakes are to die for.

I sit in our booth—the one Dani and I claimed four years ago—and wait for my little sister. I have a feeling Dani is bringing her and I don't know how I feel about that. Our whole friendship has become complicated and sometimes I don't want to try with her anymore.

I place my order as I wait and not long after the door opens and the bell overhead dings. Julie walks in and I can't tell who's with her just yet since I forgot to put my contacts in and I didn't feel like wearing glasses. "Hey Jules, who's your friend?"

Julie sinks down into the booth and slides over for her friend and that's when my vision comes into focus.

"I'm your friend too, or did you already forget about me?" Dani teases as she scoots in beside Julie.

I rub my eyes because surely I'm seeing things. But no. This is Dani sitting in front of me. Suddenly I feel embarrassed since I came in here with my pajamas on.

"Wh-What, um-" I clear my throat and tap my knuckles against the table as I try to rearrange my words. "Who are you and what did you do with Dani?"

"She had a date you doofus." Julie giggles and picks up a menu.

Claire wasn't looking like the icing on a cake at the moment. My vision was failing me but I could clearly see a beautiful girl sitting in front of me.

"You've never dressed this way when we go out." I complain as Dani looks down at her lap.

"I'm still the same Dani." She mumbles before glancing over at Julie. "This was a bad idea, Jules."

"Who's the guy? Was he the same one who gave you those Bayview sweats?" I was beginning to get protective of her. Why? I don't know. Somethings come over me and it's telling me to keep Dani away from this guy.

"You're with Claire and I don't mind it so why does it matter if I'm seeing someone from Bayview." Lies. All lies. She hates me with Claire, it doesn't take rocket science to figure that out.

"Fine, we'll do it your way. I'm dating Brixton Johnson and I don't feel bad about it." She gets up from the table leaving Julie and I sitting there dumbfounded.

"I had a feeling that was going to happen..." Julie whispers as she picks at her fingernails.

"Did you plan this?" The waiting staff look our way but I ignore them. If they want a show then that's what they'll get.

"M-Maybe." I hear her tapping her foot against the title floor.

"I need an explanation like now. Something has happened and I have a feeling I'm involved," I pause for just a second but she doesn't say anything. "Am I wrong?"

"This has to stay between us, Caleb. Dani can't know I told you and please I beg of you, DO NOT tell Claire." Her tone was stern and I knew then that this wasn't going to be a joke.

"Okay, I'm listening." I tap my knuckles against the table. "I have a feeling I'm not going to like it though."

"Before you blow up just remember that Dani always has good intentions and she did this to make you happy." She says slowly.