9.

Dani
—————————

"I can't." We're not even past the ticket booth yet and I spot Claire Johnson standing there with her gorgeous ginger locks and cutesy fall outfit. She's surrounded by other girls who's laughing at something she's said.

Julie groans as she turns me around to face her. "Please don't ruin my night of fun because you don't want to see Claire. Why do you think she's sooooo great?"

"I never said she's great.. her personality absolutely stinks. But she does have everything going for her," I can't help but glance over at Claire. "I mean look at her, she's everything a girl wants to be."

"Excuse me? Look at you!" Julie exclaims as she waves her hands towards me. "I'm not scared to admit that I'm jealous of you. I'd rather be you than Claire any day of the week."

"Then how come guys like her?" I ask, defeated. In all my life no guy has ever looked at me like they do Claire Johnson.

"It's a simple answer really: Guys are stupid." Julie pulls me in the opposite direction of Claire.

"I hate to say it but Caleb is starting to fit into the stupid guy category." I kick a few rocks with my boots as we walk.

"And yet you like him. Nope, you've actually got it bad for him." Julie nudges my side. "Am I wrong?"

"How do you know?" I mumble, walking with my head down. Julie steers me around people so I won't bump into them.

"Oh come on! It's obvious when you look at him that you want to be more than friends." Julie smiles at me. "I ship it."

"The ships sinking and I don't think there's a way to save it. You see it but he doesn't, not even if you told him!" I stop walking and at this point I have tears in my eyes. "I freaking love him, Jules. Forget like! I LOVE him."

"Do I need to have a talk with him? I know he's my brother but you're my best friend and I don't like seeing you a mess." She tucks a strand of hair behind my ear.

"No..." I sigh as I look at her. I know I didn't want to tell her about Love Chaser but it's bound to come up now.

"No? You've got to be kidding. Even I think Caleb's being a jerk but you two fit perfectly together! I ship Cali 100 percent."

I cringe at her ship name but it's not as bad as catfishing your best friend. "I'm... he wouldn't be happy with me."

"Bull crap." Now Julie's joyful expression has turned sour. "Have you not seen the way he looks at you?"

"Can we forget about them for a little bit?" When her expression doesn't change I tug her gently towards the spooky corn maze. "Please?"

"Fine. But just so you know I'm helping my brother fall in love with someone who actually gives him the time of day." Her expression softens a bit.

"Let me guess, it's me." I bite my lip to keep from smiling. Julie has always been my right hand gal and the support she's giving me right now shows what a true friend she is.

"Darn right it is." She smiles and we both go running into the dark tall corn stalk maze together.

" She smiles and we both go running into the dark tall corn stalk maze together