"There are many reasons for why people get seizures, but it's difficult to conclude exactly what it was at the moment. What's important right now is how you're feeling. Are you in any pain?"

"I've got a bit of a headache," I admitted. Again, understatement of the century.

He nodded. "That's normal for what you've gone through. I'll get you some painkillers to help you. Anything else?"

I shook my head, then winced. "That's mainly it."

When Doctor Raymond left to go get my medication, Camilla walked over to the table at the foot of the bed, upon which sat a jug of water and plastic cups. Pouring me some, she shoved it into my hand.

"Firstly, drink. Secondly, do you want to tell me what's really going on?" she asked, eyebrow raised. "That wasn't just a normal seizure. Dani told me that you were screaming, telling something to 'get away' from you. I may not be Einstein, but even I am smart enough to put two and two together to realise there's something else bothering you."

I opened my mouth to make up another lie but at the stubbornness lining Camilla's expression, I knew nothing but the truth would be believable. Her lower lip started to tremble – a sure sign that she was scared. Not of me. But for me. I sighed, knowing that keeping this secret any longer would do no good for either of us.

I took a deep breath and prepared myself to go beyond the point of no return. Then, I started talking. I began with what I'd experienced at the séance, to the nightmares I'd had over the weekend, then concluding with today's events. Once I started talking, it was impossible to stop. Finally, when I'd finished, Camilla's mouth hung wide open in shock.

"Look Serena, normally I wouldn't believe a second of what you're saying, but I know you and I know you're not crazy–"

"–Thanks–," I scoffed.

"–You've never acted out like this, and I have to say that I'm scared for you. I wish I had been there when you..." she trailed off, looking downcast. "Anyway, if you say you've actually seen ghosts, I believe you."

My heart swelled at Camilla's unbreakable trust. "You believe me?"

"Of course! I didn't realise how much the séance had impacted you, I should've been there for you. Besides," she added, sidling up next to me and engulfing me in a hug, "a little horror-like screaming from my BFF isn't enough to scare me away."

Despite the solemnity of the situation, I couldn't hold back a laugh and the happy tears that started to fall. "Thank you."

With Camilla on my side, I didn't feel completely unstable.

"Any time, sister. Now drink some water. You look like death."

"I feel like death," I agreed and began to drink, my voice cracking as if to echo my sentiment.

Camilla lay down next to me and turned on her side to give me her full attention. "So, you think the spirit was actually your mum, right?"

"Yeah."

"And since then you've been seeing black floaty things?"

"Yeah."

"And hearing a soft hum?"

"Yeah."

"Hmmm."

"Yep."

Camilla and I sat there in silence until the doctor returned with medication, too lost in a jumble of confusion to make sense of why I was seeing things no one else could. Neither of us were very knowledgeable in the supernatural department, the person who could possibly know the most was –