38. The Infection

I found myself at the large oak tree that stood at the back of Carnelian. Its familiar winding branches hung lazily over the grass and it was enough to make me feel smaller than I already felt. There was a distinctive fragrance there, a characteristic aroma of leaves and soil. I ran my hands against the rough bark, over the etchings that were carved into its exterior, like nature's own tattoos.

After what I'd seen in the newspaper and Zach's arrival the previous day, I knew there were only more things I didn't want to see. Things Ben hadn't yet told me and he was still hiding. I'd told Will everything that had happened; Jo, the cages, The Silent. Everyone had listened but I couldn't think about anything else except what Ben had said to Zach. I'd just started to trust Ben again, to believe what he was telling me was everything. Part of me told myself that it was none of my business, that he didn't owe me anything, he didn't have to say anything at all to me. The other part of me was full of intrigue for the boy I thought I knew.

Underneath my worn shoes, the ground was lumpy with its roots, projecting themselves through the soil as if in an attempt to be noticed. Behind the tree and the houses that lined the edges of the town were several small cages. Muffled sounds came from inside and as I stepped closer the smooth brown feathers of small birds came into view. Six of them spanned the two cages. They trod hesitantly on the grass, their clawed feet squashing the blades as they stepped with their heads bobbing in unison. There was something calming about watching them and yet unsettling as I remembered my time constricted by a similar wire fence. Their bodies seemed fragile as they moved around each other behind the metal. I was almost jealous of them. They had protection and were oblivious to everything going on around them. At least some of us still got to live in peace.

The cracking of twigs against the soil caught my attention. Ben was leaning against the oak tree; his hands were pushed into the front pockets of his jeans and the wind lashed around his black t-shirt, causing it to dance like a puppet. For a moment, my breath caught. His face had a softness to it that not even the shadows could hide, and the air grew with a thickness that made me instantly relax.

The corners of his mouth pulled into a wide grin as I walked over. "I'm glad one of us likes them," his smile dropped to a grimace.

"You don't like chickens?" I asked.

He shook his head. "They freak me out... I think it's the eyes, they just stare at you."

"Out of everything in the world right now, it's the chickens that freak you out?"

"It's good to have a fear that's not the glaringly obvious one," he stated, pushing himself away from the bark.

His eyes were tired and dark circles sat under them, making him look older. "Is everything okay?" I asked, changing the subject as I brought my hand up and rested it against his arm.

He looked up again and nodded as I lowered my hand, his curls dancing in front of his eyes. "Yeah," he breathed.

"What did Will say?"

He scoffed. "Will is going through Plan A all the way to Plan Z. It's exhausting to listen to."

"You think Zach is telling the truth?" I asked, trying to hide the fear I knew covered my face. "You think Liz is really coming?"

He shrugged, half nodding. "He had no reason to lie."

"Have you spoken to Zoe?"

"Yeah," he said, nodding. "She headed out this morning to scout... Already one step ahead of the game." A smile seemed to cross his lips before he continued. "I think she's the only one who's ready for a fight."

"Is that a good idea?" I asked. "Isn't Dawn Hill going to be expecting that?"

"Don't worry about Zoe," he reassured. "She can handle herself better than anyone."