17. The Disease

I launched up from the bed and swung my palm to my chest where my heart beat furiously. The sun streamed through the small gap in the dark blue curtains, casting oddly shaped shadows across the room. I blinked hard as I tried to slow my breathing, trying to adjust my eyes to the light.

"Em?" Josh croaked from beside me. I felt a palm against my back as I pushed my hair from my face. "You're sweating," he pointed out. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," I mumbled, pulling my legs over the side of the bed.

"Was it a dream?" He asked, sitting up.

"I'm fine," I interrupted before he could ask anything else.

The muffled voices of Liz and Zach rose from downstairs as I stood up from the bed. My legs ached and I wobbled as my feet met the discoloured carpet. The pulsing in my calves didn't seem to ease as I tried to stretch them out and I placed a hand on the dresser in an attempt to steady myself. I picked at the damp shirt which clung to my body, tugging at my skin and making me itch. 

I pulled open one of the drawers in front of me, hoping for clean clothes.

"You won't want to wear those," Josh interjected as I dug through a pile of balled-up socks.

"Take one of mine." He swung his legs from the duvet and strode over to his rucksack. His shirt was creased and lifted from his skin as he leant down. I averted my gaze to the black t-shirt which he threw towards me. I caught it with both hands and ran my fingers across the fabric. "I'm not looking, I swear," he announced, holding both his palms up as he turned around to face the wall.

"Thank you," I said, pulling it over my head and lifting my hair free. 

It didn't fit and hung loosely over my body, but I was grateful for something that felt somewhat clean and dry. Sitting down on the bed, I pulled on my shoes which rubbed against every part of my foot that ached. 

I looked up as Josh stretched up his arms into the air. His shirt lifted above his stomach and revealed the shadows of abs which tensed as he twisted his body.

"Admiring the view?" He smirked, reaching for his jacket.

I scoffed as I diverted my attention back to my laces. "You wish," I replied, feeling my face flush red.

Liz and Zach were already packing up in the kitchen when I pushed open the door and made my way into the room. Josh hovered in the doorway, tugging at the strap of his rifle which was slung over his shoulder.

"Morning," Liz smiled from behind the counter, her eyes landing on Josh. "Did you both sleep well?"

"Good enough," I replied, dropping my rucksack onto the sofa.

"You should both eat up," she said, pointing to two packets on the counter. "We've got a big day ahead." I picked up the both of them and handed one to Josh who took it but still looked uneasily towards Liz.

"How long is the journey?" I asked as we sat down. 

Josh seemed more protective over his rifle. He lay it beside him on the seat, the butt resting against the wallpaper.

"Couple of hours," Zach replied, ducking behind the counter as he picked something up from the floor. "I reckon we should be able to get there before midday."

"We'll head off once you've both eaten," Liz added, nodding. I hadn't even bothered to check the label of what I was eating, I was too hungry to be able to savour it.

Liz and Zach seemed to whisper to each other as we ate, finally announcing as we both finished. "Let's get this show on the road," Zach said, bundling several bags into his arms.