Chapter 31

~June 23th 1975~ 

Brian stood on the platform, anxiously tapping his foot. Roger's mother would arrive in five minutes, and he had no idea what kind of woman he was looking for. Roger had given him a description, but it hadn't cleared the image: there were way too many blonde women around fifty with a red purse and a black coat on the platform, let alone that he would be able to spot Roger's mother in the rush of people getting on and off the train. She had gotten a description of him, too, so she should be able to find him sooner than he her. 

The train slowly rolled into the station, and Brian made sure to stand extra tall. Not that that would make any difference: he was taller than most of the people around him, and his hair stood out in a crowd of women with straight, neatly pinned up hair. The doors opened and a stream of people came pooring out, some sprinting to make it to another train, some strolling along the platform as if they were without a care in the world. For the life of him, Brian couldn't spot Roger's mother until she came barging right towards him through the crowd, as Roger had warned him she might do. For a reasonably small woman, she seemed incredibly skilled at pushing people out of her way graciously and without them noticing they were being pushed away. 

'Hi there, you must be Brian! I'm Winifred, Roger's mother. I saw you from a mile away, you tall boy. I though to myself, now that's a nice chap. Now how do we get out of King's Cross? I never fail to get lost here.' Mrs. Taylor was a warm, welcoming woman, and Brian felt at ease with her. 

'It's right this way, Mrs. Taylor. I don't own a car, so we'll take a taxi.' Brian offered her his arm, which she gladly took. 

'You silly boy, you can call me Winifred. I don't like formalities, it's way more fun to cut to the informal talk. Tell me about Freddie and John, I am so excited to meet them.' She smiled at him, and with that, a lively conversation began. 

As the taxi pulled up to the house, they spotted the light grey car that belonged to the Mays. Brian had a lump in his throat: he hadn't told his parents what happened, he had simply said that he would be on a business trip. He hoped Roger hadn't flapped anything out that might reveal his lies. Pieces of a conversation could be heard as they made their way to the back yard, where they had agreed to host since the weather had been exquisite. 

'Mom, you're here!' Roger hugged his mother, whose surprise melted into a soft smile. 

'Roger, aren't you going to introduce me to these lovely people?' Roger's face turned red as he sought the right words. 

'Mom, meet Brian's parents, Harold and Ruth May. Mr. and Mrs. May, this is my mother, Winifred Taylor.' 

They shook hands, and while Brian's parents kept up their formal appearance, Mrs. Taylor started blabbering about the trip and how wonderfully Brian had guided her to the exit of King's Cross. 'I tell you, this boy is a geographical miracle. I always lose my way, you see, and he got us out in a sec!' 

Silence. Roger and Brian shared a look. 'Roger, how are you doing in college? Brian told us you are studying biology,' Mrs. May tried. 

Relieved, Roger started talking about micro organisms. This is not going great, Brian thought. Why can't my parents be normal for once? All they need to do is talk nicely, and connect with Roger's mom. No big deal. Perhaps it's time for the kids to make an appearance... They are all excited to see them. 

'I'll go check on Freddie and John,' Brian interrupted Roger's monologue about how awesome plants are. He checked the living room, but found no one. Upstairs then

'Guys, are you coming? We have visitors.' He knocked on the door and opened it, finding his two kids throwing paper planes. 'Let's go, it's time to meet your grandparents.' 

Freddie looked up. 'Why? Can't we just stay here?' 

Brian sighed. This might take a while. 'No honey, we told you. Your aunt Clare and grandma Winifred are going to take care of you for a while, and we need to know if you'll be okay.' 

John angrily threw his paper plane at Brian. 'Why do you have to go again? You have been gone for so long, and now you're leaving again! It's not fair!' 

Brian crouched down next to him and pulled him in for a hug. 'I know, Deacs, I know. We will be gone for a long time, but you will come to visit us every two weeks, and we'll be back before you know it. Your dad and I love you very much, and we would never intentionally leave you. Now come meet your grandma's and grandpa, they're really excited to see you two.' 

He got up and took John's hand. Freddie took the lead and draggingly stepped into the back yard. Roger was out of biology stuff to talk about, and to be honest he had noticed the company was not quite as interested as he was. 'There you are! Thank god, if I have to talk about photosynthesis any more, I'll go mad.' 

'I will too,' Mr. May noted, causing a laugh to ripple through the yard. 

Brian glanced at Roger, who enthousiastically talked to Freddie. Whatever did I do to deserve this...