Chapter 11

~June 1974~ 

Brian and Roger had kept their now official relationship from Freddie and John, meaning that the kids had started to notice things. Small, yet remarkable changes. For one, Roger had ended the lease of his apartment, and now lived with Brian and the boys full time. Second, Brian didn't leave as often as he used to, for Roger had made sure that Brian didn't have to take any extra jobs to pay the bills. Third, they hadn't exactly been professional in the boys' presence. Now don't misunderstand, they didn't show any signs of a romantic relationship, but you can't say that they kept it at pure business. 

Freddie was the first to notice, and ever since he'd kept close watch on his dad and Roger, wanting to catch them red handed. He'd also informed John, who, until then, was oblivious. He didn't do this on purpose, but John found him spying on their dad a few days ago and loudly asked what he was doing, startling both Freddie and the men on the couch. At first, Freddie was a bit mad at John, for he had never been closer to discovering something, but then he softened: he could never stay angry at John for more than five minutes, let alone yell at him. 

Freddie sat crouched in front of the kitchen door, pressing his ear against the shut door. He'd finally gotten another opportunity, and he wouldn't let anyone take it away from him again. He heard muffled voices, Brian's low voice and Roger's higher one. It seemed that they were engaged in some sort of argument, but he was unable to hear the exact words: he caught bits and pieces, and heard the volume raise every now and then. The louder voice was always hushed immediately after by the other, and they would continue whispering until one of them raised their voice again, repeating the proces. 

He sensed John approaching, and gestured for him to join him at the door. 'Quiet, I think dad and Roger are having some sort of fight or something but I can't piece it together. Come help me!' 

John swiftly sunk down on one knee and imitated Freddie, who put his ear back on the door again, his hands cupping the ear to expand the reach. 

'Brian, be reasonable. We have nothing to fear from that man.' Roger's voice was solemn, and now clearly audible. 'He has no claim, no right whatsoever.' 

'I know, but I'm scared. What if he wins? The fact that they obviously know they're adopted doesn't mean that they don't want to know their birth parents. And now this Prenter guy shows up and has the audacity to claim that.. that...' Brian stumbled to find the words that suited the situation. 'He treats them like inanimate objects! They are not some piece of furniture you can raise a claim to after a divorce! Hell, he wasn't even married to either women! I can't even imagine what it would be like for Freddie and John...' 

Roger pulled Brian closer, and standing on the absolute tips of his toes he kissed the desperate man in front of him. Brian hugged Roger tight, not wanting to let go, wishing it would all be over tomorrow. 

~flashback to the 3rd of April 1974~

'Bri, you got a letter! It looks serious, it has a government stamp on it.' Roger studied the letter while closing the door behind him using his foot, not wanting to drop the grocery bags (we all know it's weak, nobody wants to be seen taking the groceries home in two runs). 

'Oh, do be careful. Remember when one of them ripped a few weeks back? I don't feel like scrubbing tomato sauce out of the carpet a second time!' Brian took two of the bags and put them on the kitchen counter and wandered to the living room befrore eyeing the letter. It was indeed a letter from the Royal Courts of Justice in London. Now what's that about? I don't recall being involved in any illegal business lately... He opened the letter and while reading it, his surprising look changed into a frown. 

'Rog! Can you come here for a sec?' Brian yelled, a slight tremble in his voice. 

Roger must have heard, for he came rushing into the living room and hugged Brian from behind, which always calmed the older man down. 'What is it, love?' 

Brian broke the hug and showed him the letter. 'It's simply ridiculous, Roger. They can't be serious, right? What do you think?' 

Dear Mr. May, 

On the authority of the Royal Courts of Justice I hereby inform you of the trial 'Prenter against May' concerning the legality of the adoption of Freddie Mercury and John Deacon, aged nine and seven respectively. Mr. Prenter has made it clear that he wishes to use his parental claim on both persons in question, granted to him by Jer Mercury and Lillian Deacon. 
You have three months to prepare your defense, whether or not you would like to seek counsil from a lawyer, before the trial, which will take place on the 24th of June in the Royal Courts of Justice, courtroom 39 at 11:30. 
Until informed otherwise, the trial will proceed on said date and time. You are to arrive at least one hour before the trial and inform the customer service of your presence. You are expected to take with you Freddie Mercury and John Deacon. 

Kind regards, 

Timothy Rashnak,
director of administration

Royal Courts of Justice
London WC2A 2LL 

Roger read the letter and nearly crumbled it into a ball, but refrained himself. Instead, he handed it back to Brian, who undoubtedly could put it away safely before one of them couldn't contain themselves and burn the damn thing. 'What are we going to do?' 

'Not we. Me. You can just walk away from all this. We can't risk them finding out about us.' 

'Are you joking? I'm with you on this, we can't let this bastard take your children, even if they're adopted. Even if you've had them for only a year.' Mocking the only, Roger took Brian's hand. 'I'm with you till the end.' 

~end of the flashback~

'Do you really think this Prenter guy is our dad? That would make us real brothers!' John looked at Freddie excitedly. 

Freddie only stared back with a grim look. 'I don't think we should be too happy about that, little bro.'