Chapter 25

~January 10th 1976~ 

'Okay guys, remember the deal? No attacking him, just stay very still until he tells us it's alright. He is quite vulnerable right now, so don't do anything unexpected. You ready?' 

John and Freddie both nodded, in order to make ther dad understand that they truly felt like sticking to the plan. They hadn't been allowed to visit Roger yet, and it had been way too long if you asked them. Brian went in first, after gently knocking on the door. Roger had been an amazing patient, according to doctor Brown. After Brian visited, his memory had slowly returned. First there were only bits and pieces, but after a while, Roger had been able to tell Brian and the doctor some of the mild actions Paul had performed. This exhausted him too much, however, and doctor Brown recommended that he won't speak of it under pressure, only if he wants to. 

'Roger? Are you awake?' Brian whispered. 

'Brian. Brian is good?' Roger had began to say some of his thoughts out loud, which made it easier to determine whether or not the brain damage was severe. Doctor Brown had sought the counsel of two specialists, and they confirmed that the damage was only mild, for Roger's mind had put up more resistance than they thought at first. His rambling was one of the walls he put up after a while, to protect himself from harm. 

'You remember me. It's Brian.' After a few visits, Brian had been told to always confirm his name, but accompany it with a 'You remember me.' because this would trigger Roger's brain into remembering more. 

'Who are they? Where is Paul?' 

'It's alright, Roger. Paul is not here. He can't hurt you anymore. You're safe.' 

'I know your face,' Roger gasped. He motioned for John to come closer, and touched his cheek lightly. 'You are John. Brian adopted you. I used to take care of you. And Freddie.' His gaze went past John and his eyes met Freddie's. 'You are Freddie.' He pulled John into a tight hug, and let him climb onto the bed. Freddie joined, after Roger explicitely told him to come to him. 'My boys. You have grown so much! You were only small when... when...' 

'It's alright, Roger.' Brian sat on the end of the bed, his legs tucked underneath him. 'You don't have to tell us. You can write it down.'  

'No, I want to. I remember. It was your birthday, John. I came to bring you presents, you and Freddie both. Paul smacked me on the head. I woke up in the room. There used to be a table. Brian, were you away? Where were you?' Roger was genuinely confused. 

'I was in prison. Paul framed me so he could get a hold of you. I'm sorry I let it happen, I should have tried more. I should have- ' Brian was interrupted by Roger's hand on his, a feeling that reminded him of better times. 

'It's not your fault. Don't blame yourself. Hey, don't you play the guitar?' 

Brian looked up, visibly surprised. 'You remember? I didn't start until I was in prison. I haven't played in a while, too.' 

'I remember a song. You wrote a song and some teacher said you should sing the chorus in Japanese. You told me you would play it to me once you were free.' 

'I did. I said so in the letter I sent you. Do you want to hear it now? I can see if I can fix a guitar.' Brian got up and left to find a guitar, which was not very difficult, for a few minutes later he was back again. 'I can't promise you that it will be flawless, for I haven't played my own songs in a while. They reminded me of you too much, I couldn't handle it.' 

'It's fine, Brian. I'm sure Freddie and John are excited too, aren't you?' Roger asked, a big smile on his face. Brian loved seeing him this happy, for he hadn't laughed or even smiled in weeks. 

'I guess I'll play for you then.' He plucked some strings and kicked off the song. 

When I'm gone
No need to wonder if I ever think of you
The same moon shines
The same wind blows
For both of us, and time is but a paper moon...
Be not gone

Though I'm gone
It's just as though I hold the flower that touches you
A new life grows
The blossom knows
There's no one else could warm my heart as much as you...
Be not gone

Let us cling together as the years go by
Oh my love, my love
In the quiet of the night
Let our candle always burn
Let us never lose the lessons we have learned

Teo torriatte konomama iko
Aisuruhito yo
Shizukana yoi ni
Hikario tomoshi
Itoshiki oshieo idaki

Hear my song
Still think of me the way you've come to think of me
The nights grow long
But dreams live on
Just close your pretty eyes and you can be with me...
Dream on

Teo torriatte konomama iko
Aisuruhito yo
Shizukana yoi ni
Hikario tomoshi
Itoshiki oshieo idaki

When I'm gone
They'll say we're all fools and we don't understand
Oh be strong
Don't turn your heart
We're all
You're all
For all
For always

Let us cling together as the years go by
Oh my love, my love
In the quiet of the night
Let our candle always burn
Let us never lose the lessons we have learned

Brian expectedly looked at his audience. They looked back, fascinated. 

'Can you play more?' Roger asked. He was thrown off by the song, which reminded him of home. Home is where Brian is. Brian is good. Paul is bad. John and Freddie are good. You are safe. 

'I'll do anything for you, Roger.'