Chapter 12

~June 20th 1974~ 

Alright, Mr. May, we'll go over it one more time. Prenter's offense is mainly going to be his claim to the children, so we'll want to deminish his arguments on that part. If we can defuse the claim, we've practically won. As you know, that's not going to be easy; his claim rests on the testimonies of his former girlfriends, Jer Mercury and Lillian Deacon, and both women have indicated their preference for an out-of-courtroom testimony, for they don't want to have any contact with the children. These witnesses are our best bet, they can be persuaded into lying but also be convinced to tell the truth if we hit the right strings.' 

Brian listened carefully, because although he'd heard it countless times, he wanted to be sure of the plan his lawyer had come up with. Not that he didn't trust the man, quite the opposite actually. He'd contacted Reid&Johansson Lawyers two months ago, and he'd gotten a private audience with Mr. Reid himself. 

Reid had had experience with children getting involved with juridistic business, and he'd specialized in doing what was best for the children, not necessarily for what the parents wanted. In this case, the children were best off with their adoptive father, for their biological father, Paul Prenter, has a criminal record for domestic violence and abuse, but given that not all lawyers had a moral compass, he was not sure of their chances against the guy, for he had hired three of the best offense lawyers in the UK. 

'Mr. May, you are aware of the consequences of this trial? Whatever the outcome, I need you to be prepared for both. I believe we can win this, I truly do, but if we were to lose, it means that your children would be in the custody of Mr. Prenter. You won't be able to see them, call them, nothing. Tell the children. I know that you'd rather not, but they need to know. They have the right to know, because what happens if he wins and they don't know they'll have to leave you?' 

Brian felt a lump in his throat. He was not going to lose Freddie and John. They would win, and eveything would go back to normal. In four days, everything would be over. Oh, how I wish Roger was here next to me. How I wish he was holding my hand right now, assuring me that it's going to be fine... 

~a few hours later~ 

'Right, kiddo's. Your dad's going to be home any minute now, so be good, yeah? He needs to find out on his own.' Roger recited the deal they'd made an hour ago. Freddie and John wanted to decorate the house, so they drove to the flower shop and picked out some nice bouquets. They hid them all around the house, so Brian would find out only when he opened a certain cupboard or went into a certain room.  

'There he is!' John noticed, and he and Freddie ran to the front door to welcome Brian. There was hugging and kissing and exchanging remarkable happenings of that day, but Brian wasn't fully present mentally. 

He went to the kitchen to make some tea, and he didn't realise the pot of grape hyacinths until they fell down along with about five tea cups he'd accidentally thrown off the shelf. 

'Oh, for fucks - flowers?' Brian crouched down to pick up the flowers and put them on the counter. 'But why... how...?' 

'Well, the boys had this amazing idea to cheer you up. Are you happy now?' Roger stood in the doorway, looking at his boyfriend with his famous puppy eyes. 

'I am instantly happy whenever I lay my eyes on your perfect, adorable face. But yeah, the flowers are amazing! How did you three know that they are my favourite?' 

'Bri, honey, love of my life, you once told me all flowers are your favourite. Besides, you're a vegetarian. You'd be happy if we put leaves from the oak tree in a vase and gave them to you.' 

Roger laughed, and Brian cracked a smile. He wasn't exactly in the mood for laughing, but Roger and the boys always managed to brighten his day. 

'Why are you still standing there, come here you!' Brian opened his arms, inviting Roger to hug him, which the younger man gladly did. 

'I missed you, Roggie. That guy, Reid, he was going on and on about the things we've discussed a million times, and the only thing he did was upset me. I don't want them to worry, I can't do that to them. The judge won't be that ignorant as to hand their custody to that abusive piece of shit?' 

Roger nestled his head in Brian's chest, humming contently. 'Brian, we've got nothing to fear, but you do need to tell John and Freddie, or they'll be confused. Only the necessities, though, because like you said, there's no reason to frighten them. The kiddo's are off to bed, so you'll have to do it tomorrow. Are you hungry?' 

'No, I ate on the way.' Brian clung to Roger with more energy, as if he'd never get another chance to hug him, but Roger softly removed himself from Brian's grip. 

'I'm tired, let's go to bed.' Roger yawned, and he took a few steps in the direction of the stairs. 

Brian raised an eyebrow. 'It's only ten thirty..?' 

'Brian, you dumbass. I'm tired, lEt'S gO tO bEd.' Roger disappeared from Brian's view, making his way upstairs. 

'Ohhhhhhh. Roger I get it now! Wait for me!' 

Brian ran up the stairs two steps at a time, and, without making a sound, closed the door to their bedroom behind him. 

A/N: aight so here's another chapter, I had a bit of a writer's block for the filler chapter but I guess we're good now. Also, YAY PEOPLE ARE READING THIS STORY!!! AND WE MADE IT TO #5 IN MAYLOR!!!! Thank you all so much, it means a lot to me :)))))