Chapter 19

~August 25th 1974~ 

My love,

You won't believe what happened the other day. Do you remember what I wrote in my last letter, about the music thingy? They let me perform one of my songs! My teacher told the guards that my talent is 'exceptional' and 'genius' but I doubt that; I am simply doing whatever makes me happy in this godforsaken place. I chose to play something to unite all inmates, a song I only recently wrote: Let Us Cling Together. I thought about you when I wrote it, but the chorus is a messsage to everyone to spread love and to cling together as mankind to make our limited time on earth enjoyable. They absolutely loved it! Perhaps it reminded them of someone back at home, or just about life in general, but they actually loved something that I made! Dearest, you ought to know what it feels like to be up on a stage and have people cheering at you, not only for who they believe you are, but because you made their lives a little better for a moment. That is exactly what I aspire to, making people's lives happier. I truly believe I have found my calling in music. Don't get me wrong, I love the 'stars and shiny objects', as you call astrophisics, but in music, I can express myself in a way I have never been able to. I can let go of everything and write my feelings down in songs. My music is the only reason I haven't fallen into my dark inner pit. You should have been here, Roger, to support me and to enable me to support you. 

I haven't heard from you in a while, what's wrong? I don't receive as many letters as usual, which upsets me. If you have been busy, that's totally fine, but I was just wondering. I also never got the letters you were supposed to bring on your way back from Freddie and John.  No pressure, of course, but I was just wondering if something had come up? Or perhaps something has happened? Please respond to this letter as soon as possible, I need to know if you are doing alright. Oh, that could be a fun song title... Anyways, Roger, love, please contact me. I miss you, more than anything. If I can't have you by my side, can I please have your words to soothe me and comfort me? 

Forever yours,

Brian

P.S.: I included the lyrics to the song, I thought you might like that. There is a teacher of Eastern languages, and he suggested that we translate the chorus to Japanese, because he thought it would sound nice. Not sure if I'm going to, but it would be a fine addition to the song, don't you think? 

When I'm gone
No need to wonder if I ever think of you
The same moon shines
The same wind blows
For both of us, and time is but a paper moon
Be not gone

Though I'm gone 
It's just as tough, I hold the flower that touches you
A new life grows
The blossom knows
There's no one else could warm my heart as much as you
Be not gone

Let us cling together as the years go by
Oh my love, my love
In the quiet of the night let our candles always burn
Let us never lose the lessons we have learned

(this could be either in English or Japanese)
Teo torriatte konomama iko
Aishuruhito yo
Shizukana yoi ni
Hikario tomoshi
Itoshiki oshieo idaki

Hear my song
Still think of me the way you've come to think of me
The nights grow low
But dreams live on
Just close your pretty eyes and you can be with me
Dream on

(again, English or Japanese)
Teo torriatte konomama iko
Aishuruhito yo
Shizukama yoi ni
Hikario tomoshi
Itoshiki oshieo idaki

When I'm gone
They'll say we're all fools but we don't understand
Oh be strong
Don't turn your head
We're all
You're all
For all 
For always

Let us cling together as the years go by
Oh my love, my love
In the quiet of the night, let our candles always burn
Let us never lose the lessons we have learned