Entry #403 - The Lost Temple

'Reasonable' Bob of the Temple of Mystra explained the task that was required of me;

'It is fortuitous indeed, our meeting, young man, as I have just recently considering whether or not to hire a ranger or druid to go into the Kryptgarden Forest and retrieve an item from a ruined temple within its dark recesses known as the Lamp of Lavar. You are not only a druid, but were born and raised close to the region. Truly Mystra has guided you here wisely.'

I didn't know about what Mystra might be up to, but a change to go up to my old stomping ground was fine by me. The Kryptgarden Forest is a vast place, bigger than some kingdoms, but I doubted
I would have any great difficulty finding the place from his directions. The forest is full of ruins, but there locations are sometimes known to people such as Falo-han, my fathers part-time gamekeeper.

I talked things over with my friends and family at the OJB and decided to fly up there by myself. It was not long before I was at my father's estates and talking to Falo-han. He did not know the location of the temple, but he did know where it definitely was not, which cut my search in more than half. He had a rough idea (between the K and the R on the map), but before setting off I decided to summon myself another dire wolf as an Animal Companion.

DAY 462 (7th Kythorn)(June)

By the evening of this day I had finished my summoning of my second Dire Wolf Animal Companion. He was a large adult male, a tough lone wolf who seemed happy to be in the company of a druid for a while. I named him Stephen and retired to bed to rest.

DAY 463 (8th Kythorn)(June)

So, first thing in the morning, with a packet of sandwiches and a skin of fresh water, myself and Stephen set off into the forest. Between the K and the R on the map I cast 'Lay of the Land' to get an idea of the surrounding lands.

I then turned into a badger and with Stephen at a safe distance I asked any other badger that I met if they knew anything about the ruins I had located with my magic.

As they say in Kryptgarden Forest 'always ask a badger' and this advice held true as one of them was able to lead me to the place and we arrived at the ruins by evening.

There was not much to see at the entrance, just an overgrown tunnel hidden in the undergrowth. Still in the shape of a badger I entered the temple and sniffed my way down the steps into a corridor that lead left and right.

When there appeared to be no threats, the whole place was thick with dust and dirt. I judged it had sat empty for two hundred years or more. It had long since been ransacked of anything valuable.
turned back into a man. Exploring the temple further I found that a more or less circular corridor went around an area that was protected by a magical barrier.
There were side rooms that contained ruined furniture and books so rotten they were beyond reading. In three of the quarters of the circle there was also a small room in which there was a brazier for burnt offerings or the like.

Written in Druidic of all things on each of the burners was written:
'Illumination', then 'Brings Forth', 'Enlightenment'

This had been a druidic establishment then? It did not look like one. Never-the-less I turned into man and gathered up some wood. I lit the fires in the order of the writing - Left, Top and Right.

There was some sort of magical choral sound and the barriers disappeared. There was a large statue of a winged turtle (of all things!) in the middle chamber, and placed at his feet was the lamp I was after.

When I trousered the lamp I was half expecting the statue to come alive, but nothing happened and I left the temple unmolested.

What a strange place! I was very tempted to stay and study the place further, but I was now anxious to get back to the city and hand over the treasure.

On our return, Stephen and I came across a Huge Spider that attacked us. I've dealt with these creatures before, there is no reasoning with them and it is better just to kill them as they prey on travelers such as myself.

I summoned up a small pack of wolves and a six apes that dealt with it pretty efficiently. It's lair was not far away and as I suspected it was full of bones.
But also treasure!

We continued on our way. As a badger, the darkness in the forest as night fell was of no great concern.

DAY 463 (8th Kythorn)(June)

As dawn was breaking we came across an elf maiden having her morning bath in a pleasant glade, in a pool underneath a waterfall. The whole scene seemed to glow with a magical light.
I told Stephen to take a break and moved forward by myself to, well, not to put too fine a point on it, cop an eyeful.

She saw me sit down near the waters edge to watch her, but she was not so dull witted as I'd hoped and said 'Bloody druids' in druidic or words to that effect.

Sheepishly I turned into a human and introduced myself. We talked for a while and it turned out she was a powerful druid, a tad more powerful than myself and we had a lot in common. Her name was Illithor Aramoira.

She flirted with me and invited me into the pool. I did not need to be asked twice! Well, although this is a secret journal (this bit of it anyway) I will draw a veil over what happened next. It was between druids after all, ahem, so... mysterious rites and all that...

Afterwards she cast World of Recall and off she went. I went back on my way and arrived at the old family seat in the early hours. After an afternoon nap I headed back to the city. Two dire wolves, me and Stephen, loping along through the rugged countryside.

DAY 464 (9th Kythorn)(June)

We arrived, rather sorefooted, at Waterdeep in the evening, having walked on through the previous night.

I located 'Reasonable' Bob and handed over the lamp. He, in turn, told me to wait a couple of days and I would receive the protection from the blue curse that I desired.