Entry #311 - Goodby Pedestal, Hello Westgate

(G311 01/04/2017 via Roll20 - AP, JF(GM), MJ, HK) SS19/WA1

Meanwhile back in Pedestal.

DAY 280 (15th Nightal)(December) continued ...

[Merlock Tomes continues his report]

This is the conclusion of my report. The group of adventurers known as the 'Buffalo Bunch' entered the chamber occupied by Fadheela and her cohorts and a melee ensued.

At the same time as they entered Dwerry Gentile finally revealed her true evil nature and turned on the others. I did not know this while I was in the Spike, but I have since learned that she was in fact a Vanguard of Sertrous agent known as Wathuss.

Fenrir had had previous dealing with her I am lead to believe, back in Waterdeep. Back then she had been the chief Vanguard agent and in a war of nerves and intermittent raids on each other's hide outs she had battled to keep Fenrir and his friends following the trail to Pedestal.

She, of course, had failed in that, but had at least infiltrated their group and in one last throw of the dice attacked them in the rear while they were occupied with Fadheela and her minions.

It was a brutal combat. To begin with, sensing that now was no time for messing about, Arahel for once used her head and summoned up a bunch of crocodiles (and a single wolf). They went in and engaged the grimlocks that surged forward in the first few moments of the battle.

Dwerry, or Wathuss rather, fire off two fireballs that blasted Arahel dead and Durz nearly so. Fenrir was injured too, they were all crammed in too tightly. Durz tried to get at her, but she avoided his blows as she fled down the corridor back to the stairs. When he was overcome with a torrent of magic missiles he chose to flee before he too was killed.

Meanwhile, in Fadheela's chamber Billi and Fenrir battled a bloodhulk. These things are immensely strong and it killed many of the crocodiles. Fenrir blasted at it and Billi shot it until it had taken so much damage it could hardly stand. At that moment, the wolf, which had been skulking about trying simply to stay alive nipped in and bit the bloodhulk in the leg and killed it.

While all this was going on Fadheela, who was a medusa, was trying to petrify Billi and Fenrir but she had no luck with that at all. Fenrir then blasted her once and Billi killed her with a single arrow through the heart.

The room cleared Fenrir rushed into the corridor to discover Arahel was dead. Enraged. he blasted at Dwerry with his magic, channeling everything he had into it. It knocked her down onto her knees, exhausted and badly injured. As she opened her mouth to plead for mercy he killed her off with another dreadful blast.

As they got their breath back, unexpectedly Maaril the Dragonmage (of Waterdeep) teleported in with four sellswords and two large gargoyles. Fenrir recognised him and took a step back as Maaril ordered his men to loot the corpse of Fadheela and to gather up the body of Dwerry.

From Fadheela he took a key and a staff, then without a word of farewell they all teleported out of the room once more.

Not entirely sure what all that had been about they then looted the chamber of all its treasure, gathered up Arahel's corpse and exited the Spike through Fadheela's secret door.

Next they went back to the Dripstone Inn where I gather Es Sarch brought Arahel back to life by some mysterious means. From what I heard, the process that he uses is rarely pleasant and falls a long way short of being what a cleric would call a Resurrection.

That night, from what I gather, the Bunch arranged selling the massive amount of treasure they had looted from the various places they had raided, again with Es Sarch.