26. Alone Tonight

The metal against my wrists seem to tighten the more I struggled to get free. I'd already tried every method I knew to squeeze out of them and none had worked. The tape on my face showed no signs of budging either, even after I had furiously licked my lips over and over in an attempt to unstick it. I'd even tried scraping my face against the wire to tear it off, but I'd only come away with more scratches. 

The Infected had lost interest. They'd realised they couldn't reach the meal behind the fence and went back to stumbling aimlessly. A few stayed, keeping me company. I was almost amused as I watched their feeble attempts to push their fingers further through the gaps to reach my body.

Since there were no echoing groans, I was able to hear the awakenings of the camp. Mumbles, distant laughter, the muffled crackling of the fire. Soon enough, Josh would awake to an empty space beside him and I hoped he would care enough not to ignore it. After the argument we'd had, I'd half expected him to hate me. 

I'd had my eyes closed when distant mumblings of the camp caught my attention. I'd had no way to tell what time it was. The sounds of clattering pots and trays meant it was late breakfast or early lunch. My thoughts flickered to Jo, but I knew her fate was already decided and I could never forgive Apollo for what she had done.

Familiar voices managed to break through the fence. I could hear Maggie. She was grumbling indistinct orders and Zach was loud as he tried to organise wood collection outside the fence.

"Josh!" Jack's call was clearer than ever. "You want to take the knives outside the fence today? Get in some real practice?" I could hear his grin even through just his words. 

There was a pause and I pressed myself against the wire, listening closer.

"Have you seen Em?" Josh asked quieter and my stomach lurched at the mention of my name. He knew something was wrong. I couldn't hear Jack's response, only Josh's final words. "Alright, thanks." It was only silence and rustling wind that followed, bringing a horror-like atmosphere to the air. Another voice broke through louder, a woman's this time.

"Josh!" She called. "I need to talk to you!" It was Apollo, her signature blunt tone was unrecognisable.

"Not right now, Lo," Josh replied, squashing her hopes of further conversation. "I'm busy at the moment."

"It's about Em, right?" She stated, making my stomach lurch. I pressed myself closer and the wire dug deep into my skin. She'd killed Jo and was about to move in on the only person I trusted. I resented every word that came from her lips because none of them would benefit me in any way.

"How did you-" His voice was cut off by another woman, one I recognised instantly.

"Josh," Liz interrupted. "I think we should talk."

*

The afternoon was warm, but my blood flowed with ice and my muscles tensed. Being completely unaware of what was happening was beginning to drive me insane. Dawn Hill was drawing Josh into something dangerous and he was completely oblivious.

"She's not dead, Lo!" Josh shouted as Liz's van door slammed shut. 

They'd been inside for half an hour. I'd counted to pass the time.

"There's no way she would've survived the night out there..." Apollo spoke softly.

"How would you know?" He sneered. "She's tougher than you think and if she's out there I'm going after her."

"No!" Lo interjected. "I know because people have done it before and then a body turns up in the woods a few days later... You should stay here in case she comes back. We can send a search party out with people that know the area."