Chapter 1

-Spiros POV-

I had travelled far in the first year of my nomadic life. Scrapping for food and perfecting the art of the silent night kill. After that first year was up I decided to settle in a territory of my own, which I have been protecting for a year. Since I left home this is the only place I've felt like I was meant to be. My territory was full of lush green forestry that surrounded a town. Although I lived in a cabin on my own as humans just don't understand what it is like to be a shifter. 

I was pulled out of my thoughts as a rabbit darted past me in the undergrowth. I huffed at the small creature as my inner lion demanded I chase it. Pushing that thought aside I continued walking around the edge of my territory stopping now and again to refresh old scent marks. 

Clawing at a tree before rubbing my cheek against the surface of the bark I made sure my scent was thick around the area. I had learned that most male lions will steer clear of my territory because there are no females here. The other cat shifters though are a bit different I've had them sniffing at my territory since day one so I needed to make sure that my presence was felt. 

Speaking of intruders I curled my lips into grimace exposing the scent organ on the roof of my mouth. Picking up the faint scent of another shifter. Pushing off my back legs I started at a steady trot towards the scent getting ready for a fight. As I got closer the Scent became more distinct, It was a female tigress and her cubs, no doubt her mate was still in their territory. Their orange colouring giving them an advantage in the forested area especially when their strips broke apart their outline. 

I approached the family cautiously stopping in my tracks as the female hissed a warning. I tilted my head to the side with a grumble before laying down to show I wasn't a threat. I wasn't about to attack a mother with cubs. The tigress eyed me cautiously as if to say she wasn't sure what to think. Chuffing at her cubs before shifting into her human form and gesturing me to do the same. Deciding to shift I rose on my paws before taking my human shape. 

"Why didn't you attack me aren't your kind known for infanticide," The tigress asked confused as her two cubs started playing right in front of her oblivious to the danger they'd be in if I was the same as the rest of my kind. 

"I am not like the rest of my kind, I don't see the need to kill any cub, but I must ask you to vacate my territory as you are here without an invite and it is making my inner lion very anxious" I replied giving a slight huff to make my point. 

"Of course I was merely here to collect these two they had wandered away from the house while I was busy," The Tigress said motioning her hands between the two small cubs. 

"That's fine but please make a habit of not trespassing" I stated before shifting back into my white lion form.

"Your animal form is beautiful by the way, Next time I'll ask permission and hopefully we can talk" The tigress spoke before shifting into her tiger form and leading her cubs back over the boundary of my territory.  

Watching her walk away I shook my head in amusement as I recalled the tigress' surprise when I had not gone to attack and instead talked to her. I was never going to kill a cub regardless of what my lions' instincts told me. After I was finished marking my border I trotted back to my cabin shifting into a man as I climbed up the deck and opened the door. Upon opening the door the warmth of the fire I had started hit me in the face making me purr in delight as the heat raced over my bare skin. 

Closing the door behind me I walked straight into the kitchen bypassing the living room where a cream coloured couch sat in front of a large TV. The fire roaring in the corner the crackling of wood indicating it would need to be added to soon. The house phone sitting in the hallway gave a beep indicating there was a message waiting for him. Stopping just shy of the kitchen I pressed the button on the phone and a message rang out. 

"Hey Spiros it's Charlie from the company we are going to need you as extra security tonight, There is a big meet and greet with another company president and the man is very wealthy so we might get a raise for tonight" 

Groaning to my self I completed the journey into the kitchen where I opened the fridge pulling out a leg of deer meat and turning on the oven. Grabbing a milk carton and closing the fridge door. Putting the meat on a tray after basting it with salt and pepper and a variety of other species. Opening the oven door and placing the tray inside and setting a timer. I opened the carton of milk drinking the soothing liquid my inner lion purring at the taste.

Deciding to freshen up for my job before I ate I moved through the house going to my bedroom and picking up some clothes and then going to the shower. Turning on the water and stepping under the spray. I washed off the dirt and grime that had accumulated while I was patrolling. Shampooing up my sliver grey hair I scrubbed through my scalp thoroughly making sure it was clean and silky. Turning off the shower I stepped out of the curtain and stepped over to the bathroom sink where I took in my appearance. 

My clear blue eyes and sliver grey hair stood out against my slightly tanned skin. I was nowhere near as tanned as other lions but it was still striking especially since my hair and eyes were so light. I had defined muscles and strong legs. Putting on a vest and some underwear on deciding to put my suit on after I ate. 

Going back into the kitchen I smelled the glorious scent of cooking meat. Preparing some vegetables to go alongside the main dish. Putting carrots, potatoes and more to boil. After my food was finished cooking I ate peacefully before putting on a suit and heading off to my Job. No doubt I will be stuck outside all night that's why I ate such a big meal.