Chapter 12 - Rayner

"Here. I think you need it more than I do." Rayner said gruffly, almost thrusting the drink into her hand.

His words sounded harsh and critical but the meaning behind them was anything but. 

Wasting no time she chugged the cool drink as quickly as she could, the sour taste of the red fruit helping cure her dehydration immediately. It was her favourite drink on a hot day and Rayner's knew the familiar taste of home would help her feel a lot better. 

"Are these...our redderberries?" Amira asked incredulously, remembering the sweet aftertaste created by her own hands. 

Normally redderbies were known for being a sour red fruit with an end note of bitterness but thanks to many trials and errors with Sybil's Sunspell they had managed to create a plant food that mixed best with the berries and create the sweet craving most elves had never tried before. She had sold it one year to fellow Outcropper growers but it didn't count towards their monthly quota. Only produce did.

Rayner however, simply raised an eyebrow like she had just asked him the stupidest question in the world.

Saying nothing, he chose a spot on a plush armchair only a few metres away from the bright cyan couch she was resting on. He must've put her there when she collapsed but honestly there were no complaints. It was cool and comfy and she had no intention of moving anytime soon.

"After we got our crop ruined Sybil put down some Quick Seeds. Somehow we thought they changed into Monthly Grow but I know the taste and-"

"I picked them. I knew Dewdrop would return soon enough. Greedy eejit." Rayner said absentmindedly, sitting down beside her.

Amira choked on her drink mid gulp coughing violently. Rayner gave her a tweak of a smile before returning to his frosty nature and continued mixing the drink. He had gotten permission to use the furthest waiting room from the sunlight and it was there they sat until the sun lessened in strength.

"How do you...when did you…" she began, unable to process.

Whether it was the sunstroke or the pain from the welts covering her body she didn't know how to respond but Rayner rolled his eyes regardless. His unfamiliar greyish white cloak rested haphazardly against his discarded gold and black Nightspell robes, neither of which seemed to match with his chosen colour choice of brown casual winter clothes. 

Rayner paid no mind to them, far more concerned with the angry blisters on her shoulders and neck smothered with Shadeleaf paste to soothe the sunburn. Finally, he answered exasperated by the thought of such a notion.

"Oh Hell's teeth Amira, I've known about that thieving bugger ever since you both bulldozed through my garden when you were twenty. Bloody rabbit ate all my dandi-lillies."

"Jackalope. He's a jackalope." She corrected, making sure he knew Dewdrop was no common rabbit.

"He's a jackanape if you ask me. Bloody nuisance." 

Amira huffed, downing her drink and slamming it on the table.

"He is not! He's adorable!"

Rayner's bemused expression was more than enough to make Amira laugh and soon they were both laughing at the ridiculousness of the situation. Arguing over Dewdrop. Who'd have thought? The two Nightspell's chuckled, passing their empty glasses over towards the pitcher and pouring another drink before settling back into their chairs.

"So..you gonna tell me why you were attempting to bench lift a Sunspell elf up the Sunspire during sunrise? Rayner asked, attempting to inquire about the burns she had gotten.