Chapter 44

"This is the tenth time I've called him! He better hope he doesn't answer, because when he does I'm-"

"Going to sound completely guilty with how mad you are."

"Then, I'll sound guilty either way." Jennie huffed in anger as she rummaged through the bag of Chinese food. "It makes no sense that we've gotten nowhere and now Cage just decides that he wants to drop off the face of the earth. When I find him, I'm going to-"

"Be calm and collected and have an adult conversation." Chahee finished quickly for her boss. "Jennie, we'll figure it out." She said more softly.

"I'm itching to get back home. I'm dying for answers. I want to see Lisa. She graduates in a couple days and I don't know if I'll even make it."

Jennie heard her assistant sigh from across her penthouse. Chahee got up and walked into the kitchen with Jennie. Chahee wordlessly accepted a couple of egg rolls before sitting down across from Jennie.

She could tell by the pinch in between her eyebrows that her boss was under a lot of stress, and had no idea how to make it better. She didn't think the conversation she wanted to have with her boss right now would make things better, but she needed to hear it.

"I think you should wait." Chahee said hesitantly, not knowing what would set her boss off.

"Excuse me?" Jennie squeaked out in confusion.

Chahee took a deep breath, knowing she couldn't take her words back.

"I've always respected you. When you decided to leave to take care of your dad, I was your number one supporter. I'll always respect you, Jennie, but you need to wait on this." Chahee rested her hands against the table, patiently waiting for her boss to answer.

It took a couple minutes, Jennie was glaring at her across the table and Chahee swallowed roughly.

"This is all I've wanted," Jennie sighed helplessly. "Through all the meetings, agreements and press conferences. This is the only thing I wanted."

"I know, but do you know what this could do to the company? To us?" Chahee stressed, taking a bite out of her egg roll. "We could really go down for this, Jennie. You need to wait. I'm not saying you'll never become boss, but for right now, you need to lay low. You never know who's watching."

"No, you're right. I'm just..." Jennie trailed off, looking down at the ring her wine glass was leaving on her table. She traced the rim of the glass with her fingertip, wondering when things got so messed up.

"If you care about her and I mean, really care... then you would take a step back. I know this is what Cage wants, but we have to do it."

"I haven't talked to her since the press conference. That was what, almost four days ago?" Jennie scrunched her face up, trying to remember. "I think it has more to do with our relationship than what happened."

"Lisa has a lot of things going for her. You really want to be the reason you hold her back?" Chahee asked sharply. "Maybe it's for the best."

Jennie stopped eating, looking at her assistant darkly. Chahee didn't move, knowing she messed up.

"Chahee..." Jennie warned lowly.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean-" Chahee stopped talking, blowing out a breath. "I'm sorry."

"Of course I want her to succeed and I know she will. She does have a lot of things going for her, but what? You just want me to forget everything that's happened. Everything that I've went through this year. Had it not been for her, who knows where I would've been after my dad died." Jennie ranted seriously. Chahee just sat there and listened.