Chapter Twelve - When I Don't Remember You

Start from the beginning

But there was something about the way she sang, the tone of her voice, the slower lines coming out almost like a moan.

There was something there.

Won't fit in the room, big balloon
Trails me, 'cause I can't let go
Everywhere I am, it sticks close like a friend
Just like her, just like her
Friendly reminder of a sudden desire

(Don't), don't look in my eyes, (sudden)
I feel a sudden desire, (sin and desire)
Don't know if I can deny, (sudden)
A sudden desire, (sudden desire)
Your fingerprints on my skin
A painful reminder
Don't look in my eyes, (sudden)
I feel a sudden desire, (sin and desire)
(A sudden desire)
((Não), não olhe nos meus olhos, (súbito)
Eu sinto um desejo súbito, (pecado e desejo)

She sang the chorus at the top of her lungs, louder than the blender sound.  The sincere smile on her face melted Marshall Lee's heart. As the song approached the final verse, she leaned back in the kitchen cupboard, her gaze lost through the window, that lingering tone of desire even more present now.

I wanted her to kiss me how
With open mouth and open mouth
We keep our distance now
I wanna feel her hand go down

I try not to think about
What happened last night outside her house
Too far to go back now
Just wanna feel her hands go down

“Good to see you excited this early in the morning, baby girl”- said a sweet voice behind Marshall Lee. Megan Abadeer, their mother.

“Morning, mom!” – replied Marceline, serving herself a bit of juice.  "Want some? I just made it."

“Sure, thank you. What are you doing, young man?” - she says, finally noticing the presence of her son sitting on the floor.  Marshall stood up, a little embarrassed.

“I wasn't watching on my sister singing”, he replied, laughing.

“You sucks” – she replied, laughing too and showing her tongue.

Megan laughed lightly at her children, and went to the table to eat. The woman worked as an event producer for the New York elite, as well as having a network of LGBTQ+ nightclubs and two published novels.  Besides being a present mother.  A real multitasking.

*Flashback*

Over the years, the woman had some affairs, but never got married. Which was no problem at all, she had always been self-sufficient enough. But around the age of twenty-five, with a solid and steady career, she wanted to be a mother.

Not wanting to wait for the goodwill of the universe to put someone in her life with whom she wanted to share this moment, she went on to adopt.  That was when Marshall came, still a baby, making the woman's world finally complete.

At least until the boy was ten years old, and he got it into his head that he wanted a little brother or little sister.

Megan, still single, but with her life even better structured than before, decided she was ready to be a mother again, and went again in search of adoption. Her plan was initially to adopt a child a little younger than Marshall, since he was categorical in the request. Little brother or little sister.

But everything changed that day.

On one of her numerous visits to the local orphanages, she was with the boy.  While talking to one of the social workers who worked there, Marshall Lee played in a corner with toys scattered around the great hall.  As it was visiting day, the local children were all there, playing while being assisted by adults interested in adopting one of them.