Chapter 37: Dark Inhabitants

Start from the beginning

"Still, it seems silly," grumbled Fili as they continue their march. There was little talking amongst the group that first day, but that hardly surprised Sara. The others were still upset with her about everything, or so it seemed, for the others hardly acknowledged her presence save Bilbo and Fili. Some like Ori and Balin were simply lost in their own thoughts, but others such as Thorin, Nori, and Dori were definitely still brooding if their stiff body language was anything to go by. Bifur, Bofur, and Bombur stuck close together, glancing around nervously, occasionally whispering something in dwarvish to each other; but as they didn't look at her she guessed their conversation was not about her, directly anyway. The person who worried Sara the most was Kili. He still had not said a word since the night before, not even to Thorin. His shoulders were slumped, his head down, and the few times she caught glimpses of his face his eyes had been dull. At the start of the day Fili had tried to talk to him, walking with him and Thorin at the front of the line, but try as he might Kili remained despondent. Finally Thorin had grown weary of the chatter and sent Fili to guard the rear.

As the light had begun to fade they looked for a place to stop for the night. To their surprise they found a place where the path widened considerably for a short space leaving a pad of white stone large enough for them to camp. Having laid out her bed roll Sara dug into her pack taking out the other half cake she had eaten for breakfast. They were surprisingly filling despite the fact that one cake was the size of a small muffin, but they tasted good, especially when dipped in the jars of honey Beorn had sent with them. Other than the extra clothes, basic survival gear, and pair of gloves for Sara that Beorn had acquired for them he had also offered the company bows and arrows. Thorin had accepted a set as his had been lost in the Goblin tunnels. Kili had taken a couple bundles of arrows to use with his bow but the others had declined, preferring their own weapons.

No one said anything as they ate, but they all keenly felt the absence of the three they had left at the forest edge. Sara had half expected to hear hurried footsteps running to catch up to them all day and she had often looked over her shoulder hoping to see their missing companions. But as the day had passed that hope had dwindled into non existence. She hadn't been the only one to look out either, periodically throughout the day the others would glance behind as well, but none more frequently than Thorin and Balin. Everytime Thorin had looked back his eyes fell on her, blazing with barely suppressed anger. She wasn't sure what hurt more, his anger or Oin, Gloin, and Dwalin's absence. As she was tucking her food back into her pack she noticed someone was missing.

"Fili?" she said, tapping his arm which he had slung over his face. He gave a little start and peeked up at her. "Where is Bofur?" He frowned.

"Isn't he here?" he asked, sitting up to see for himself, but the toymaker was nowhere to be seen. Fili called something to Bifur in dwarvish and seconds later he responded in kind, pointing south of the trail. "He went to gather firewood," said Fili, laying back down clearly unconcerned.

"Off the trail?" she asked, biting her lip.

"I guess so," he said from under his arm. She glanced at Bilbo and together they rose and went to the edge of the path, searching the slope that angled down sharply. The sound of an axe at work met their ears and soon they spotted Bofur about 20 yards away.

"He looks okay," said Bilbo, one foot rubbing the other. "Still I can't help but feel something is off." She nodded though she could not quite put her finger on the problem. They stood fidgeting, waiting for Bofur's return. After a few minutes he had a sizable arm load of wood and he turned to climb the hill but after a few steps he stopped, frowning. He stood that way for several seconds, his head swiveling as if looking for something. He took a few steps to the left and then to the right before turning all the way around his eyes wide with panic.