Suddenly, he heard the loud sirens of the town erupt from below. He'd have to hurry.

Alfred wanted to just fly back home, without doing this. Unfortunately, he couldn't. This was for his country, for the world, and if he wanted to be the hero, he'd have to.

Why was being the hero so hard?

Suddenly, the bombardier's words came through the radio.

"Releasing bomb, closing bomb bay doors. Lift up."

A shudder of the plane, and suddenly it flew up, relieved of the heavy weight it once held. Alfred knew he couldn't look back. At least not now.

"I'm so sorry, Kiku." He whispered under his breath, wishing that the words could reach the unknowing Japanese man.

And unknown to the American, Kiku did hear those words. Xiao's eyes narrowed as he watched Kiku step away from the window. His maroon gaze drifted to Alfred.

The American pressed several buttons and with the pull of a lever, the plane's engines kicked into high gear. The plane shot off through the sky.

Suddenly a huge, defeaning BOOM sounded behind the plane, and the flying beast lurched sideways.

Alfred struggled to keep the plane level. He looked over his shoulder once he had the plane in control, just over the second left engine.

And what he saw made his chest clench.

Kiku whimpered, and Xiao looked down at him. He paused before looking up, seeing what Alfred had done. His eyes widened to the size of dinner plates.

"Holy hell," he muttered to himself.

A huge plume of black and grey smoke erupted from the city, consuming it whole. It reached up to the clouds, like a mountain made of smoke.

"What have we done?"

The memory flashed, and darkness swept into their vision.

The memory came back, and Kiku and Xiao were now floating alongside Yao.

Yao knew that there was probably a faster way to make it to Hiroshima. But he didn't have time right now.

As soon as the meeting had concluded, Yao had made it back home as fast as he could. He'd gotten home, and ran straight outside.

Stopping at the small stable beside his house, he had quickly mounted his velvet-brown stallion named Dragon. He'd been riding all morning, only stopping to let Dragon catch a break.

Now he was nearing the outskirts of Hiroshima.

Suddenly the loud roar of a plane sounded overhead, Yao glanced up to see a bomber soaring past. One marked with the United States' Star.

He had been too late.

Yao gritted his teeth and turned to face in the direction of the city again just on time to see a huge eruption of smoke and fire.

Thank the lords that Yao had been on a slight hill and was able to see the upcoming wave of sound and heat.

"Aihya! Stop!" Yao screeched, jerking back on the reigns. Dragon halted immediately, and Yao could see the trees swaying violently to just ahead of them.