🌸Allies🌸

The memory washed into Kiku and Xiao's views with small pulses of light, until finally their surroundings were bright enough to make out.

They were standing in Yao's house. The doors to the large porch outside were wide open, letting in moonlight.

Kiku walked outside, seeing Yao sitting with his feet hanging over the staircase.

"Kiku," Yao muttered quietly, scaring Kiku. But he thought the memory people couldn't see him?

"Remember when we both sat here watching the moon, all those years ago?" Yao looked up at the moon, his golden eyes reflecting the moonlight.

Xiao stepped up beside Kiku. "Relax, he can't see you. See?" Xiao waved a hand around in front of Yao's face, which remained solemn and regretful.

"He's just talking to himself," Kiku said, though more to reassure himself than for Xiao.

"I miss you so much, Kiku," Yao continued. "Why does it have to be this way?"

Yao stood, gaze turning determined. "I love you, but I will not let my people suffer because of your choices."

Kiku blinked, trying to figure out when exactly this was. Yao turned, walking into the house and slamming the doors shut.

The bang of the doors faded as once again a new scene formed around Kiku and Xiao.

They were standing in the hall outside of the Allied meeting room. Kiku had been here before, as they'd turned it into the main World Meeting Room after the wars.

Yao stood outside the doors, looking to be in a panic. Kiku walked closer, hearing the nation muttering under his breath.

"God, you can't do this to Japan," Yao told himself. Kiku's eyes widened as he realized what this memory must be.

"Your people are hurting because of him," The Chinese man seemed to contradict himself. His hands wound their way up to his ponytail, each grabbing a half of the hair and tugging.

"Besides," Yao said, moving one of his hands to rest on his shoulder. "He's hurt you enough."

Kiku flinched, realizing that Yao was holding his scarred shoulder. Suddenly, Yao slammed a fist into the wall beside him.

"Aiya! That's no way to think of your brother!" He scolded himself. He gritted his teeth and faced towards the doors to the room again. "This is for your people, not you."

Yao took a moment to straighten his ponytail once more, flicking it neatly into his back. He fiddled with the cuffs of his uniform and straightened the buttons down his shirt.

He made his way to the doors, resting a hand on the handle. "I'm sorry, dear Japan."

He swung the door open, stepping inside. Kiku blinked in surprise as his brain comprehended the words Yao had said.

Finally he shook his head and walked in the room after Yao to see Alfred, Arthur, Mathew, and Francis sitting around the table.

They all looked up to see Yao entering, looking more determined than ever.

"Greetings, nations." Yao began. "I've come here because I would like to join the Allies."

The family of four before Yao blinked in surprise.

"Dog, that's great! Now we've got someone close to Japan!" Alfred burst out, raising a fist into the air.

Yao visibly flinched, before firmly responding. "I will not attack Japan, or any other country, unless totally necessary."

Francis nodded. "Well of course, wouldn't want to waste ammunition!"

"That's not what I..." Yao trailed off, looking down at his feet. He looked defeated, but the determined look in his eyes said otherwise.

"So, what did bring you to the Allies?" Arthur asked, looking over Yao. Yao shifted uncomfortably. It had been a while since he'd actually talked to Arthur, let alone while they hadn't been at each other's throats.

"My people are angry. The people of Japan are attacking my country. I am also facing civil war."

Kiku noted how Yao never flat out accused him about the attacks, when obviously it had been his fault. Sometimes, Yao's protectiveness angered Kiku.

Arthur nodded. "Japan does need to be put into his place. He is trying to take over both your country and the pacific countries."

Yao sighed and took a seat. "Yes, I am aware of that. I just... isn't there a way we could fight this war without as much bloodshed?"

Francis began to cackle. "War without bloodshed!"

"Yeah, and since when did you become boss?" Alfred asked. "Didn't you, like, just walk in here?"

Yao rolled his eyes. Mathew, who had remained silent the entire conversation, reached a hand out to pat Yao on the shoulder. "I know how you feel," he gently murmured. "I uh, probably shouldn't say this, but Gilbert is a very close friend of mine and I don't want him hurt."

Yao blinked, before smiling softly. "Thank you, Mathew."

Kiku felt the sensation of falling backwards, looking around him as memories swept past him.

Russia joining the war, Chinese troops helping to force out Japanese troops, Yao finally getting to speak to Leon again, the civil war continuing to rage on in China, and then, suddenly slamming back into place.

The meeting room again.

Everyone was here; including a new addition to the room. Ivan sat beside Yao, staring coldly at the board.

Alfred was standing up by the chalkboard, an unusually serious expression on his face.

Kiku looked closer at the board and paled drastically. Several arrows pointed to two different locations on a map of none other than Japan.

Kiku quickly looked across the room, seeing Yao at the end of the table seated next to Russia.

The other nations in the memory didn't notice, but Kiku spotted the hand that Ivan reached out to rest on Yao's leg.

Yao himself looked like he was ready to explode, his face red and his eyes full of regret and sadness.

Kiku could see the tell tale signs of his big brother being anxious; from the small toe taps to his twitching fingers as they twirled the fabric of his uniform.

Alfred's words seemed to echo through the dead silent room.

"Our targets; Hiroshima and Nagasaki."