🌸Nanjing🌸

Kiku and Xiao watched as Yao yelled at his horse, a keen sense of urgency on his face.

"Jai! Jai!" Yao yelled, snapping the reigns of his horse again. He felt the stallion pick up more speed, hearing his soldiers behind him doing the same. The thundering hooves and heavy breaths of the horses, along with the clatter of their weapons, were the only sounds to be heard.

Yao took a second to glance over his shoulder, at his soldiers. They were dressed in their regular everyday clothes, having been totally caught off guard by the sudden attack. Yao was confident in their fighting skills, but would it be enough to fend off the upcoming onslaught?

"Sir! Sir! Urgent message!"

The sudden, panicked shout came from outside of Yao's window, to which the man quickly moved away from his pot of brewing soup.

His head snapped up, and he quickly doused the small fire he was using to cook with water and threw his spoon over to the side of the counter, hurrying over to the door.

When he opened it, Yao was met by a panicked, young Chinese man. His messenger.

"What do you need?" Yao asked quickly, scanning over the man. He looked exhausted, like he'd run across the entire country without a break.

The man held up a letter, of which Yao quickly grabbed. The man explained as Yao read it over.

"The Japanese, they're attacking Nanjing."

Yao's eyes widened, shining with disbelief. He knew that his brother, Kiku Honda, respresentation of Japan, had his sights set on becoming stronger and expanding his empire, but Yao never would have imagined this.

Kiku, attacking him? His people, his lands?

Yao ran back into his house, taking the long sword off of its place on the wall where it hung. He only used it when completely necessary.

"Have they sent soldiers already? Are we prepared?" Yao asked as he returned to the doorway, though knew that this messenger knew nothing but to tell their representation that they were being attacked.

The messenger shook his head. "I am afraid I do not know that, just that this was an urgent message."

Yao pushed past the man, letting the paper flutter to the stone path in his door. He saw the messenger's horse standing just behind him.

"Do you mind if I take your horse?" It wasn't really a question, but Yao felt he should ask anyway.

The messenger nodded. "Yes sir, whatever you need to do. Good luck." He added gravely, watching as Yao nodded and quickly snapped the reigns.

The horse tore off, in the direction of Nanjing.

About halfway there, Yao caught sight of a general and a set of troops mounting their horses.

"Hey!" Yao hollered, stilling galloping to Nanjing and not stopping for talk. "Follow me, we are going to Nanjing! Bring weapons and prepare for a battle!"

Yao saw the men nod and speedily mount their horses, soon falling into a formation behind Yao as they thundered towards the city of Nanjing.

As they approached streets of Nanjing, Yao could see many other soldiers filing into somewhat of a battle formation, also clothed in nothing but their everyday attire.

Citizens also flooded the streets.

Yao stopped his horse in front of a few of his soldiers. "Go evacuate the citizens, and come into battle. Be prepared for anything."