chapter 4 - two times too many

Early morning meetings sucked.

Even more when you had a shitty night.

The withering glare I send the man sitting in front of me goes unnoticed by him as he blabbers away about the same thing for the third time.

Martinez Enterprises was one of the family ventures that started during my grandfather's time, still going on strong.

The legal kind, that is. A front, if you will.

Nox had been a joint venture with Alexia. I started it for my own benefit to get a smooth business flow for Eternos. To pass off the deals as legal and legitimate for anyone looking at them from outside. Keep an eye on potential threats and have the latest scoop of the underworld.

And best of all, most of the staff is a part of Eternos, so gathering information became a lot easier and efficient. Drunk individuals are common and a slip of tongue happens a lot.

I can't do that within Martinez Enterprises if I want to keep the squeaky clean image.

It is a lot to handle–Eternos, Nox and the company–but it takes up all of my time, leaving me no time alone with my thoughts and I am thankful for that.

The one similarity all three have is that it requires me to keep my identity a secret.

At Nox, I am a caretaker of the club and an occasional bartender.

At Eternos, I am someone who works closely with 'Phoenix' and a mediator when it comes to making deals since Phoenix never makes an appearance and it's better this way. Only a few people know about my true identity. I stay involved without raising suspicion. And like I said, no one ever suspects a woman. It's a win-win.

At Martinez Enterprises, at the age of 25, I am the youngest CEO the company has ever had who likes keeping a very low profile.

Three jobs, three identities, such is my life.

Having Alexia by my side makes it better though.

I poke my cheek with my tongue, truthfully bored with the debacle happening in front of me.

"Mr. Hessington," I interrupt, closing the file in front of me and pushing it towards him . "I don't think you understood the purpose of this meeting when Ms.Rhodes paid you a visit on Friday."

He narrows his eyes at me, adjusting his tie. "What do you mean?"

"Signing a document doesn't take more than five minutes, therefore this meeting should have been over half an hour ago. I hope you know I hate it when my time is wasted for no good reason. So, let me ask you, what's the hold up?"

"I was told I'd be meeting with Mr. Martinez for the signing."

I flick my gaze towards Alexia. "Is that so?"