Some Assembly Required

[[AUTHOR'S NOTE: This chapter is out early since I'm swamped with work right now and felt bad for leaving you guys with noting for so long. So, enjoy the latest chapter!!! Also, looking into finding someone to draw Zara and Momonga in Zara's bedtime pajama slip thing--the mental image keeps making me laugh, so as soon as I find someone who'll do it, you all will get to see it! Anyways, back to the fic!!!]]

The first thing you sensed was a soft glow beyond your eyelids. It was gentle and warm, not overbearing. It was as if the light was designed for your eyes.

Next came touch. Soft, silken sheets caressed your fingertips; just the way you liked them. The plush mattress beneath you felt just right; perfectly comfy and perfectly soft.

After that, scent. Your rooms smelled of... Lavender. It wasn't their usual scent; perhaps one of the maids had left some lavender flowers somewhere?

From there, sound. You could hear soft murmuring from your living room. Yet, no matter how hard you strained your sleepy ears, you couldn't tell who was talking.

Finally, taste. There was a... foul taste on your tongue. Familiar, too. If you didn't know any better, you'd say it was--

Blood.

You recalled the previous evening. The panic attack, the nightmare.

The Bite.

You shot up, throwing yourself from your bed and kicking your blankets haphazardly to the floor. You stumble out of your room, ignoring noises of alarm from your maid of the day and—And Mare, but you'd question that later—and darted into your bathroom.

You stared into the mirror, your reflection revealing the ugly truth.

There was dried blood in your mouth, caked on your larger-than-human canines. It... wasn't a bad dream.

Son of a Bitch.

You turned on your sink, splashing water on your face and mouth. You had to clean the blood away; if it wasn't there, it wasn't real—

"Lady Zara?"

God Bless Mare's timing. If you'd let that train of thought run its course, you'd probably have had another panic attack. At the very least, you would have bawled your eyes out.

"Yes, Mare?" You splashed more water on your face, grabbing a small towel to wipe the blood away. A quick glance in the mirror confirmed that you were blood-free, save for a few specks on your canines.

It'd have to do for now.

"Are you feeling okay? You ran straight in here..." His concern warmed your heart. Count on Mare to be forward with his concern.

"Yes, I'm feeling fine. A little tired, but fine." You offered him a warm smile, which he returned. God, he's such a cutie!

"A-are you sure, my Lady? N-not that I don't believe you!" Mare was quick to fix; poor guy. You wouldn't hurt him, even if the question hurt. "I just want to make sure you're feeling okay after last night..."

Ah.

Well, he's honest, and you can't fault him for that.

"I... Well, I'll be okay. Takes a few days to recover, but then I'll be back to normal" Mare blinked, then nodded with a bright smile.

"That's what Lord Momonga said, too!"

"Did he, now?" This was... News, to say the least. Might explain why he'd gathered literally everyone to witness your shame.

"Mhmm!!!" Mare nodded, oblivious to your internal turmoil. "He also said we should be more careful around you."

God damn it, Momonga. You could take care of yourself!!!