Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Back at the apartment Zandro was true to his word and as Breanne came out from her shower in her Tigger PJ's, Zandro handed her the phone.

"It's dialing now."

"Oh thanks." Breanne took a hold of the phone and a moment later she was connected and had the pleasure of hearing each of her nieces and nephews come to the phone to talk to her.

Zandro sat on the couch opposite her, glass of red wine in hand listening to Breanne. She queried each of the children showing delight and interest in what they had been recently doing. Breanne was nothing like the women he usually spent time with, albeit he did not usually spend much time with any particular woman, certainly not outside of the bedroom anyway.

Not impressed with the tug of unfamiliar emotion he was feeling Zandro stood up abruptly and walked out to the balcony.

Breanne watched Zandro's mood change and as quickly as possible tried to disconnect from the call. Not easy with the kids all clamouring for a little more of her attention. However, ten minutes later with the call ended she went out to the balcony to find out if he was bothered with something she had done.

He was no longer on the balcony but coming out of his room and he'd changed out of his casual clothes into black pants and a collared shirt. "Um, sorry if I took too long on that call," she apologised a bit confused.

"It's no problem call whenever you like. I have to go out. I'll be back late so don't wait up."

Breanne raised her eyebrows at his back and watched Zandro walk to the door and leave. The next couple of hours were excruciating. She tried to piece together the events during the call back home. She had not said anything that she could think of that would have triggered his change in mood. Maybe he had received a message on his phone. No matter how she tried to rationalise his behaviour she had the distinct feeling that his mood change was triggered by her and he had certainly not felt at liberty to disclose where he was going or what the issue might be. It was impossible to relax. Breanne switched channels not taking in anything that she watched. She didn't even bother picking up a book and in the end she took herself to bed and lay staring at the ceiling.

The call centre Zandro utilised in Makati City ran a twenty four hour service and he had his own office in the building. He had work that was piling up and needed his attention. He would focus on reducing the stack of work which would stop him thinking about the soft inviting woman sitting in his apartment and the feelings that he didn't want to deal with.

Three hours later Zandro looked at the clock. It was the early hours of the morning and he had worked like a demon shooting off email responses and delegating what was not necessary for him to attend to personally. He rolled his shoulders and felt the creak of his stiffened muscles. He was due to be up and at his first meeting in just a few hours' time. There was no more delaying it. He would need to head back to the apartment. Breanne would definitely be asleep by now anyway.

Breanne heard the door open and checked the time. She desperately wanted to get up and find out if everything was okay. It would have to wait until the morning. Clearly he hadn't wanted to discuss whatever was bothering him with her tonight. Knowing that he was home safe did not help her sleep and she knew that come morning she was going to have a real struggle to get through her day.

The morning should have been awkward but Breanne did her best to pretend that nothing out of the ordinary had gone on the night before. In all honesty she was too tired to really give it all of her attention. It was certainly going to be a long day. If Zandro noticed the bags and shadows under her eyes he didn't mention it. Conversation was limited and no sooner had Breanne come out of her room Zandro was stating it was time to leave; he had a meeting to attend. Breanne could really have done with a strong tea, she was going to need a caffeine hit to get through the day.