Klaus rushes towards Kai, but Rory predicts his actions. She speeds between both the hybrids, standing between Kai and Klaus. Rory meets Klaus' gaze, glaring angrily.

"Do not," Rory hisses.

"He killed my brother,"

"Lucien killed your brother, and your brother tried to kill me," Rory shoves Klaus away from her, slamming her palms against his chest. "Your brother tried to kill your daughter. Finn killed Kol. Are you seriously trying to put the blame on Kai for not healing him?"

"Finn is family," Klaus argues.

"And you are my fiancé!" Rory shouts. Klaus clenches his jaw, his gaze burning into hers. "Do you honestly think that I would feel bad for Finn? At all? After what he did to me? Nik, you were the one that held me every night when I had nightmares. You had to snap my neck because Finn was infiltrating my mind trying to find Hope. He made me relive my parents' death over and over. I was scared to get in the fucking shower because I was terrified I was drowning again."

"Rory—"

"—He's your family, but he sure as hell isn't mine," Rory snaps. "And it's not Kai's responsibility to heal him just because Finn suddenly wants to protect his siblings instead of murdering them. He was looking for Freya and he was willing to die for her. So let him die."

Klaus is rendered speechless. His mouth opens and shuts, but no words come out. Kai is quiet for the first time, simply standing behind Rory.

"And if you try anything, Klaus," Rory continues. "If you hurt a hair on his head, I swear to god. I will walk out of this house and you will never see me again."

"You can't be serious," Klaus says.

"I am. Just like you're serious about protecting your family, I'm serious about protecting my own. Kai did what he did to protect me."

"I have been trying to protect you all this while—"

"—But when it comes down to it, you will always choose your family over me," Rory interjects. Klaus doesn't argue. He can't, anyway. He's lived a thousand years with his life surrounding that one motto: Always and Forever. "And I understand that. You've been together for an unthinkable amount of time. But I don't deserve to be a victim of that. There are just some things that I can't forgive."

"...Rory," Klaus starts. "We can talk about this alone."

"No. This is about me and Kai. About what he did tonight, which he did in my honour. If I leave him alone, there's no promise that Freya or Elijah won't retaliate." Rory states.

"You think that my siblings would hurt him?" Klaus questions with a frown.

"Klaus, I am not fucking stupid. If they don't hurt Kai, then I'd be surprised," Rory states. "And I refuse to let that happen."

"You told me that you would protect me as long as I protected Rory," Kai says from over Rory's shoulder. Klaus' gaze meets his. "And I told you that I'd always protect her. One of us was lying that day if you let Freya or Elijah touch me."

Klaus' eyes flicker back and forth between the pair standing in front of him. "He can't stay here," Klaus finally breaks the tense silence. Rory opens her mouth to protest, but Klaus talks over her. "Not because I don't want him to, but because my siblings will go after him. And I can only control them so much."

"That's fine," Kai replies. "I was expecting it anyway."

"Kai, no—" Rory protests.

"—It's fine, Rory," Kai reassures her, placing a hand on her shoulder. "I'll be fine. I'm a vampire, remember? I have powers of compulsion; I'll just compel myself the best house in the city."