Chapter 20

Emily's POV

I gritted my teeth in frustration. "Shut up!" I exclaimed as I couldn't hold my anger anymore. I felt overwhelmed with all of these. It was unbearable.

She gave me an insolent look as she folded her arms over her chest and said sarcastically. "Did you really think Cody would marry you because you got into his bed? You are just some slut who entertained him for a while. I thought he didn't try so much before you spread your legs. How shameless you are! Because of you, Hailey even got fired. Poor girl! She got fired because she saw you having sex with Cody on his desk."

I narrowed my eyebrows and snapped, confused. "What the hell are you talking on?"

"Don't need to deny. I know you very well. And I am eagerly waiting how much you will get low for trying to trap him into the marriage. What will do now? Getting knocked up, or you are already pregnant?" She mocked and gave me a sarcastic smirk and left without waiting for me to say anything.

I clenched my fist as my eyes welled up. I was bored with all these accusations, gossip, awful words. I couldn't bear it anymore. I pursed my lips together, trying to hold my tears as I walked away and went to the restroom in quick steps.

Fortunately, there was no one inside. I rushed into the cubicle and locked the door as I burst out crying. I wrapped my arms around myself and leaned against the door while crying. As much as I knew that all of these were lies, but I felt ashamed. And it wasn't just about me; it affected my family's reputation as well. I felt awful because of putting my family into this mess, despite the fact I was innocent. Suddenly, someone knocked on the door.

"Occupied!" I exclaimed while tears were running down my cheeks non-stop.

"Open the door! It is me Cody."

Cody's POV

I was waiting for Tristan to finish his conversation on the phone in his office, lost in my thoughts. I didn't know what to do anymore. As much as I tried to convince my parents of my innocence, they didn't believe me. I felt trapped. I breathed deeply, running my hand through my hair.

"Thinking about the wedding." Tristan asked as he hung up the phone.

"Yeah." I mumbled as I leaned my elbows on my thighs, squeezing my hands together.

"You know they will not change their minds. Especially after hearing the gossip. Poor Emily! The people talk shit about her." He commented and shook his head in disapproval.

I bit my lower lip without saying anything. I heard the gossip as well. They really were horrible. The people told awful things about Emily. They were so harsh on her. A few times, I had even heard them myself while they were talking about her, calling her with different degrading names. Of course, I put them in their places. It made me mad every time I heard those gossips and disrespectful words. I wanted to call Emily, but I didn't know what to tell her. I could guess how she felt now. But today, I was going to see her. Emily and her father were going to attend the meeting about the hotel in our company.

After finishing the problem about the new project, I left his office. When I was going to my office, I saw Emily rushing towards the restroom while crying. I instantly followed her. I felt worried.

When I walked into the restroom, I heard her crying in the cubicle. I approached the cubicle and knocked on the door.

"Occupied!" She exclaimed, sobbing.

"Open the door! It is me Cody." I said firmly.

After a few seconds of silence, she snapped without opening the door. "Leave me alone!"

"Emily, please." I pleaded and knocked on the door again.

"Leave me alone, Cody!" She shouted, crying. "Leave, please. I don't want anyone to see you here." She added, sniffing.

"I will not go anywhere. Now open the door!" I firmly stated and knocked on the door.

A few seconds later, she finally opened the door and walked out as I stepped aside, letting her exit. Her eyes were red from crying. Seeing her in this state made my heart tighten.

"What? What do you want?" She mumbled, sobbing and wiped the tears of her cheeks with the back of her hand.

"Why are you crying? What happened?" I asked, worried.

"You happened!" She snarled, looking into my eyes while tears were running down her cheeks. I gave her a questioning look. "Because of you, everyone talks shits about me and my family. They call me whore, slut and talk awful things about me." She informed, sobbing and shook her head sadly. "It isn't a big deal for you. Maybe, it is a pride for you. I have never done anything bad to disgrace my family. But now everyone thinks that I am a slut who even had sex in the garden of her parents' house while there was a party without respecting anyone. And now you dumped me after you got what you wanted. Moreover, they say you think I was an easy catch even for you." She exclaimed, crying without looking at me in my eyes.

"Emily..." I mumbled sadly and pursed my lips together, closing my eyes as I sighed. Seeing her crying made my heart sink. "Shh, don't cry." I mumbled and tried to hug her, but she pulled back.

"No, don't touch me!" She protested, sobbing, but I didn't listen to her and wrapped my arms around her waist, pulling her closer to me. I hugged her tightly in my arms. She gripped my collar as she burst out crying.

A few minutes later, I pulled back and cupped her cheeks, lifting her face up. "I will handle it. Don't worry! I will not let anyone say anything bad to you." I promised, looking into her eyes.

"How, Cody? They will not stop talking." She mumbled, devastated as she pulled back and walked towards the mirror.

I rubbed my beard, thinking. "We will marry. So they will stop talking bullshit." I said with a serious expression and placed my hands into my pockets.