Chapter 8

Emily's POV

My eyes widened in shock. I was just joking, but....

"Really? All the surfaces?" I asked, my voice barely audible.

He rubbed his neck, thinking while looking at me.

"Umm. I think I didn't do it on the stairs..." He replied in an unsure tone. "Umm... No...I did it there too.... with a Russian girl two months ago." He added with a reckless expression and shrugged his shoulders.

My face flushed as I thought about them on the stairs while they were having sex. I instantly shook my head, trying to get rid of these thoughts.

"You are hopeless." I commented, frustrated. "Come on. Find the file. I don't want to stay in your...sinful bachelor pad anymore." I stated, giving him a disapproving look.

Three weeks later

I parked my car in front of Cody's building and got out of the car. Today, Cody and I had a meeting with our fathers and Cody's older brother, Tristan. We were going to inform them about the stage of the project. I arrived early; so I went to Cody's office. His secretary informed me that he was on the way and told her to tell me that I waited for him in his office.

A few minutes later, the door opened and Cody walked in, closing the door behind him as he gave me his mesmerizing smile. I smiled at him and stood up. He approached me and kissed my cheek, greeting me.

"Coffee." He said, extending me a cup of coffee. "It is from your favourite cafe. I bought one for myself and thought you would like too." He added, giving me a bright smile.

I smiled happily and grabbed the cup. "Thanks, but I don't drink coffee with cow's milk..."

"It is with almond milk. I know you are allergic to cow's milk." He cut me off as he looked into my eyes warmly.

I looked at him, surprised. I didn't think he would remember it. Yes, we had spent a lot of time together, but I didn't think he gave attention to it. Actually, my thoughts about him changed; he wasn't annoying me so much like before. Despite his playboy's ways, he wasn't as bad as I thought. Moreover, the last two weeks I hadn't seen him with his conquests. It was really unexpected. I didn't think he would become more responsible. I enjoyed spending time with him. He was so thoughtful, caring as well as funny.

"Thank you." I beamed at him.

Suddenly, someone knocked on the door.

"Come in." Cody said without taking his eyes off me.

"Oh...Emily. I didn't know you were here too." Cody's father, Greg said, surprised as he walked in. He travelled his gaze from me to Cody and vice versa.

I cleared my throat and took a step away from Cody, averting my gaze.

"Good morning." I greeted Greg, giving him a polite smile.

"Good morning, Emily. How are you?" He asked as he approached us.

"Fine. Thanks. You?" I asked, smiling.

Suddenly, Cody's phone rang, interrupting us.

"I am sorry. I have to pick up. It is Tristan." Cody stated and picked up his phone as he left the office, talking on the phone.

"I wanted to talk to you for a while, but I didn't have time." Greg confessed as he put his hand into his pocket.

"What about?" I asked, giving him a questioning look.

"Cody." He replied.

"Cody?" I asked, confused.

Does he think that Cody and I.... No. There is nothing between us to make him get suspicious.

"How does Cody behave? Did he annoy you? I know my son very well. Sometimes, he can be difficult to handle." He asked, looking into my eyes.

I sighed in relief. I didn't know why I felt nervous.

"No, we are good. Yes, before it was difficult to work with him, but we managed to get along." I confessed, giving him a smile.

He nodded and stated firmly. "I am glad to hear it. Cody may look reckless, but he can be responsible when he wants to be. You can trust him about the project. And this project is so important to him. It is his first project which I gave him full responsibility without intervening. So he will do everything to not disappoint Tristan and me. But if there is some problem with Cody, don't hesitate to tell me, please. I will talk to him." I nodded, smiling.

***

I breathed deeply in relief as soon as our parents and Tristan left the conference room. The meeting went well. They were satisfied with the results. It was my first project. So it was so important for me. I didn't want to disappoint my father. On the other hand, it was so important to Cody as well. As much as in the beginning, I didn't understand how important it was for him, now I knew it. We were in the same boat.

"Thank you so much for helping me when my father asked about the roof garden. I forgot to talk to Mr. Scott about it." I stated, giving him a grateful smile.

"You are welcome. Don't forget we are a team." He resumed as he gave him his dazzling smile.

"Yes, we are." I agreed happily.

"How about a celebration? We got their approval. Let's have lunch on my yacht." He suggested, excited and looked at his wristwatch. "We have two hours before the meeting with Mr. Scott." He added.

"Sure. Let's celebrate." I smiled happily.

Cody parked his car near the yacht and got out of the car. He rushed towards my side and opened the door for me. He extended his hand towards me, smiling. I held his hand, giving him a bright smile and got out of the car. He placed his hand on my back as he led us towards his yacht. Suddenly, his phone rang. He pulled his phone out of his pocket as we stopped walking.

"I am sorry. I have to pick it up. It is from the company." He informed me. I nodded.

I walked toward the ocean, watching the waves while Cody was talking on the phone. I closed my eyes, breathing deeply while listening to the smoothing voice of waves. The weather was beautiful as well.

As I heard shouts, I opened my eyes instantly and saw a teenage boy running towards me fast; there was a man running behind him while shouting. Without managing to react, the boy bumped into me hard. I lost my balance and fell into the cold water.