14

Calum

It had been two days since we had lost the game. Since I had thrown Luke away. My current coping mechanism was turning up to school, hiding away in the gym to avoid Luke before heading home to comfort eat mums cookies. Something she had been baking since yesterday after asking why she hadn't seen Luke in a while. I hadn't cried but I may have been dehydrated at that point. The way she had acted I think she had actually thinks we were dating.  I hadn't the heart left to correct her. Still the cookies were nice.

"There you are". I jumped at the voice, dropping the racket I had been moving. "Blimey it's looking clean in here" Michael added,survaying my lunchtime hideout. "It needed doing" I half-lied. "Yeah but I'm sure last time coach asked no one volunteered. The smell of those bibs is still vile thought". "And that's after I persuaded him to wash them" I smiled feeling pleased with my work.

"Well I looked back and I have to say from the footage I saw we were playing excellently, we just need to work a little more together. Got make sure a couple of people pull it together because you got an opportunity missed. Can't believe they left you open and didn't pass" Michael handed me another racket to add to the new stack. "It was near the end. Also if they have any holes add the to one side. Mrs B said something about getting them re-strung" I placed it neatly on to the shelf.

"No excuse. If that had been a championship game the whole team would have been furious. Although it wouldn't lead me to be wanting to clean the sports closet" Michael retorted. Another racket handed my way. "You and I both know that's not why I'm in here" I chided. "Touché, but talk to me CalPal. I only know what a couple of team have said" Michael offered, slumping on to a bench I had moved.

"Then you probably know all there is to know". "Doubt it, James has never been one to be straight to the point and the other two gossip like girls". Michael had a point, "I told Luke to get lost. Simple as". I shuffled a couple of balls to distract my mind.
"That seems a little extreme". "A little extreme. Try having your heart stomp on and then tell me it's a little extreme". I snatched up a racket shoving it roughly on the shelf.

"Was he dating that dude or something, because if so he never should have agree to the dare. That would be a shitty move on his behalf" I sighed, "no he wasn't dating him". "So did you let him explain?" "It didnt need to be explained"
"I dunno man, Ash said he was pretty upset by the whole thing and totally uncomfortable when that dude first turned up and started speaking to him". "Probably realised that his little secret other life was going to come out" I spoke sourly. Annoyed at the sympathy he had for Luke.

"I don't think so. He seemed so distraught and Luke's never been an actor. He always looks like he's got elevator music playing in his head". Almost laughing I managed to catch it to turn it into a cough. "Look you can try and change my mind all you like but I've made up my mind" I declared. Michael held his hands up, "never came here to make you change your mind, an explanation perhaps. I just want my friend back" he protested.

"You know I always thought it be you to do something stupid and our friendship end. Not Luke" I lamented a lump forming in the back of my throat. Michael wrapped his arms softly around me, "Ehh you're stuck with me. Now come on, the cupboard can take a break. I say we ditch last period and test out the new bottle of vodka my dad brought home, along with some gaming". "I've got cookies". "Brilliant".

A/N- i hate this chapter but it's fine for now (two days later I'll be like why did I publish this)