13

Luke's pov

I found myself sat in the stands. Ashton on my left, his face painted with Michaels number and the teams red and blue colours. Despite everything I had still let him paint Calum's number on my cheek, him declaring that someone needed to be cheering him on. I felt guilty wearing it. I hadn't exactly been a good friend to him off late. And I was damn sure that at this moment in time I was an even worse friend. The burning glare he had issued before the start solidified that feeling.

"So Luke, you and Calum a thing now" Noah Blackman asked curiously. It has been a very long time since I had seen him, it wasn't like things had ended on such good terms. "Kind of" I lied. Fuelled by the small hope that he would instead return to his schools side of the match rather than ours. "I'd like to say I'm surprised but I'm not. The boy always was a charmer". I gulped a little. Was Ashton listening? Or was he concentrating on the game?  Ashton was nice. Noah was not.

"Yeah you could say so" I tried to keep my voice level and not play into the game Noah was trying to suggest. Noah hummed softly, I attempted to think of my next move. "So, err, how's life at west gate high". Small talk, keep to small talk, I thought. "Same old, nothing's changed". Okay, we the heck am I going with this. "Supporting Roy then" I nervously continued. Ashton threw me a concerned glance but there wasn't really anything he could do except fake his own death to draw attention so I could shut up.

"He is our star player" Noah's smirk grew bigger. I did my best to follow the game on the pitch. To try and work out where Roy was. Noah wasn't giving me much to go on yet if he was still angry at Cal then there was a high chance Roy was even angrier. "Are you alright, Luke. You're looking a little pale" Ashton piped up. "Oh he's always been a little pale, rather shy if you get my drift. Nothing like his friend" Noah directed at Ashton before turning to me, "new friend Luke?"  I said nothing trying not to nod. I had always agreed with Noah back when we were friends. Taken his side far to often.

"I'd watch your back,mate. Ones a whore and the other frigid. Lukey I'm sure I'll see you after the game. I have no doubt you want to congratulate an old friend" Noah concluded leaving with a friendly looking-wave. Grin wider than anything else. I let out a huge sigh of relief at his disappearance, dropping to my seat. "Do I even want to know" Ashton asked curiously.

"Probably not, and can you not mention it to anyone" I beg. "Sure, but if there's an issue you know you can always talk to me". I nodded my head before turning back to the game. Keeping a close eye on Calum. We sat in silence, every now and then I would glance over. Paranoid that Noah would come back over and stir up more trouble. I regretted ever becoming friends with them. It was my fault in the first place, introducing Noah to Calum.

The game finished on a tie-breaker. Unfortunately Roy turned out be the best goalie I had seen and whilst my knowledge was poor at best I seemed in those last few minutes Michaels best shot couldn't touch him. Leaving us a one down. I shot out of my seat the minute the score was declared. Making my way down to see Calum and explain. The teams congratulating each other on a good game.

"Calum" I called out to where he was making his way off the pitch. He was talking to Michael who seemed a little stressed. Probably disappointed that they had lost. Didn't offer a good start for them. Calum seemed to ponder for a second before nodding for Michael to head on.

"What do you want Luke" he acknowledged me. "I just want to say that I'm sorry" I began. Not really the way I had want this to go. "For what Luke because as far as I can see you seem to be really happy with messing with my feelings of late" he growled back. "I promise I didn't bring him" I almost shout. Angry that Calum thought the worst of me. "You sure on that since he seems to be walking over here as if he's about to escort you home" Calum half yelled back. "Luke, I thought you were going to come and congratulate us" Noah called out as he closed the gap between us. "I never said that" I protested. Calum looked like he was going to punch Noah. Noah looked like he had won a million dollars, i on the other hand felt like crying. "Maybe I made a mistake but I'm sure you agreed to it earlier. It's not because of Calum is it. He can't have you on that tighter leash". If I claimed Calum was angry before now he was damn right fuming. Ready to explode.

"He's his own person" Calum barked back. "Really because he's not hung out with any of us all summer, seemly since I never broke up with Roy. At least I can now see the reason why. Thought why he would want to be a slime ball like you is beneath me" Noah taunted.

Calum snapped in that moment moving forward like a bull to a red flag. "Stop" I semi-cried out. Planting myself in the middle. Hand pressing firmly to his chest. There didn't need to be a fight. Calum would get suspended and if there were talent scouts, heaven forbid they saw this. Noah chuckled. "Temper, temper. Luke, honey when he gets bored of you, he go back to chasing after taken men. Just let me know that I warned you" Noah uttered. Shit-eating grin plastered to his face.

As tempted as I was to also punch him, I knew it wouldn't be worth it.  It wouldn't get me anywhere. He sauntered away, giving another friendly wave to some of Calum's teammates who had stopped to witness the drama. A couple of his own friends he made delusion signs at. "Calum" I turned to face him, hand falling away. "Get lost Luke". His voice sounded so calm and cold that I was dumbfounded. "You don't mean it". 

"No. You can't just drop all that at me and expect me to accept your half apology. We're done Luke. I'll get over my stupid crush and you. You can do whatever because I am done. Done with this. Done with you" he objected.