// CHAPTER SEVENTEEN //

"So what's going on then?" George asked, turning onto the road which led directly to the university.

"With what?" I said from the passenger seat. George turned to me once we reached a stop at the traffic lights and raised his eyebrow patronisingly. "With Matty, obviously."

"Oooo alright touchy, clearly somebody didn't get what they wanted with that girl last night." I teased, hitting his arm gently. "To be honest I was going to ask you, seems you know him better than anyone and I honestly have no idea where I stand with him." George pursed his lips together in thought as we drove the rest of the journey in silence, before finally parking outside our building. He turned the key in the ignition and the gentle rutter of the car fell silent, before he turned to me and took my hands in his.

"Matty... Matty's an odd character. We all are. I can't tell you where you're standing with him because I'm just as clueless and I normally try and stay out of his business, but you're a friend so I'd better tell you." He said. I nodded with anticipation, waiting for the words to come out of George's mouth which would most likely tear me limb from limb leaving only my heart for Matty to put in his collection. "Matty dates a lote of girls. A lot. But with you, I don't know, it's different. He let you walk out of our flat wearing one of his favourite shirts for god sake." He sighed and paused for a minute, letting go of my hands and resting his head against the headrest. I looked down at my body, at the light grainy shirt he'd given me last night to sleep in. I hadn't had time to go home and change, and I'd lost my shirt in the mess the boys call a bedroom. Matty practically insisted I'd wear it, and I'd had no objection to it.

"He's been writing songs. Good ones. I think they're about you."

"Me?! But why?" I laughed at the idea, I was not worthy of being anybody's muse.

"He sees something in you. Heck I see it too, I just don't know what it is." George smiled. I smiled back, and an awkward silence filled the car. I shifted my eyes to my fingernails, picking at the uneven bits. "Anyway, we better get going. Come on shit tit."

"Charming." I laughed again, exiting the car and running to catch up with George who was already making his way into the building. He ruffled my hair as we entered, pulling me into him.

--------

After class I decided to make a detour to the coffee shop on campus before walking back to my dorm and picked up four hot chocolates. I carefully carried them back in their cardboard holder and turned my key in the door, pushing it open with my foot and dumping my bag on the floor. I was immediately greeted with Callum poking his head from the kitchen enterance with a smile, before walking towards me and embracing me. I hugged him back with my free arm, before handing him his hot chocolate. He gratefully took it, before taking my hand and pulling me in the direction of the kitchen.

"Look who's finally here guys!" He joked, pulling me into the room. Brad was sat at the table with Emily, who looked like she was doing some work for her art class. She looked up and a timid smile crossed her face before placing a pen in her mouth and chewing on the end of it. I handed Emily her hot chocolate in attempt for a peace offering, and she smiled and took it before jumping out of her seat and hugging me. I've never felt so relieved, I was just glad to have my best friend back. This would always happen, we'd fall out and then forget anything ever happened, but this time it lasted a lot longer than usual and I'd missed her. I pulled away and smiled, before handing Brad his cup and perching myself on the kitchen counter. 

"Is this for our silence on where you've been? You dirty little stop out." Brad winked, sipping his cup. I glared at him, before rolling my eyes and sipping at my own.

"No actually, forgive me for wanting to do something nice. I'll refrain from doing so in the future." I said, sarcasm rolling off my tongue.

"Well it's very much appreciated." Callum smiled, walking over and sitting next to me on the counter. "But seriously, where were you? I was worried."

"I lost track of time and just crashed on George's sofa." I lied. There was no point telling them about my encounter with Matty, they'd ask about it in detail and I wouldn't know how to explain it to them when I couldn't explain it to myself. My conversation with George in his car had been running through my mind since it happened, and I was still no closer to understanding what he saw in me, what any of them saw in me. I was completely dumbfounded, especially to the idea of Matty writing songs about me. What were they called, Pity On The Weak? Frigid Bitch? Virginity Is Her Only Virtue? I was sure if he was to write a song about me, it'd be insulting and unpredictable. However, there was a small part of me that believed otherwise and the more I tried to convince her, the more she believed in the good of people. Matty brought out this side in me, and I wasn't sure if I liked it.

"Hello, Earth to Avery?" Brad shouted slowly, emphasising every worse as he waved his arms in the air to drag me out of my trance. I blinked rapidly, trying to bat away all of my thoughts before turning my full attention to him.

"Sorry," I mumbled "I didn't get much sleep last night." 

"Yeah I'll bet." Callum wiggled his eyebrows. I turned to glare at him, which he greeted with a hearty laugh. 

"Guys shut up, leave her alone." Emily laughed, gathering all of her stuff up into her arms. "I've gotta go finish this but I'll catch up with you later Avery?" 

"Sure." I nodded with a smile, before she exited the room. I decided to follow suit and go to my own room, where I locked the door and fell back onto my bed with a sigh. I focussed my eyes on the ceiling, following every crack in the old paintwork until they disappeared into the wall. Every now and then the smell of Matty wafted up from his shirt, his musky scent filling my nostrils and making my heart ache to be close to the boy with the brown locks that had me in the palm of his hand. I turned to my side and tried to drift off for a nap but at that moment my phone buzzed. I unlocked it and clicked the message, seeing it was from an unknown number. 

"When am I getting my shirt back then lovely? My nips are slightly chilly and are missing the comfort of my favourite lazy-wear attire. x"