Chapter 13: The Two Elves

Once I got down from the pillar stones, I decided to head inland, away from where the elf had suddenly appeared. If I walked with a good speed, I reasoned, and kept a steady, direct course away, the creature would unlikely catch me, unless he rushed after me through the grass, in which case I would at least notice him.

I hurried away from the boulders and soon came to a dell between low, grassy ridges. I figured the ridges would hide my advance from anyone watching from behind – especially as the watcher had been considerably shorter than myself. To hide my route even more, I stooped my head while accelerating my pace.

I felt adrenaline filling my veins. The instincts from the dawn of our species on the African savanna kicked in, as I felt chased, possibly hunted. I had no idea what the elf's intentions had been, but a sixth sense had told me in the moment I saw him that he'd been watching me for some time. At least since I'd made myself visible by ascending those pillar stones. I had spent some time there resting and making notes, all the while the elf could get closer.

I did not know if the elf was chasing me but I felt I was making headway, getting out of his reach even if he was after me. I'd stop later to observe if I was being followed. I might even find the footprints of the creature if I returned to the site later. It would be easy to find because of the conspicuous boulders.

However, my feelings turned premature. My flight was cut short at the end of the dell, where I suddenly faced the elf standing right in front of me. He blocked my way standing in an arrogant pose astride on the path, holding a very earthly bow and pointing an arrow straight at my torso.

I acted on instinct, throwing myself off the path, into a narrow gap between the hummocks of long tussock grass, and trying then to crawl to safety on the other side of the low ridge.

The high alarm in my mind battled with disbelief, as I could not comprehend how on earth the elf had managed to get ahead of me and ambush me here. He had to be an incredibly fast runner, and moreover, he had somehow known exactly where I was heading – even when I didn't really know myself where to go. The dell had led me to a trap.

I was now sure the elf would pursue me, and if he was that fast, he'd catch me. I started forming quick thoughts on how to confront him. He had looked small, but he was armed. Should I fight or surrender and appeal for mercy? Would he understand human gestures like hands up? No, both options felt unpleasant; I should keep running away. But where? In this sea of grass every place seemed the same.

I did not reach the other side of the knoll, when another dark-clad hooded creature attacked me. He had a long stick, apparently made of bamboo, and he beat me with it with no mercy. I fell to the ground and rolled back to the dell, trying to regain my balance, but I was overrun by what seemed like at least twenty fierce attackers.

Oh God, they were an entire pack after me, and they had got me. Now, I would try to get back on my feet. Now, I was down.

However much adrenaline had been pumped into me by the attack, I was still physically weak, and I offered very poor resistance to the assailants, who used sticks and a whip to quickly beat me into submission.

Crouching on the ground, my face in dust, I spit grass and panted. Yet it was only now that I realized I had not been attacked and vanquished by twenty fearsome monsters – but by two hooded dwarves, short and slender.

The one who had pointed an arrow at me and later used the whip was now again standing astride in front of me, giving orders to the other: "Get his hands, Ze! Tie him up!"

The one who had beaten me with the long stick, grabbed my wrists and bent them behind my back. He was over me and I could not see him, but I heard his strident voice: "Got him, Rob! Gimme the strings!"