Chapter 9: The Deep Blue Sea

I had acted in a frenzy of mechanical efficiency even before the Laputan swiftcraft appeared. First, I had neutralized the little elf-bot of the lifeboat. Ignoring the protests of the girls who thought it was cute, I threw the elf to the ocean, claiming it would swim back home to the Nautilus where it belonged. I then pointed my gun at Nurse Ellis, collecting her communicator and checking her for other smart devices. The items followed the bot to the dark sea.

"What if we need their help?" asked Mary and looked at me appealingly, as she voluntarily handed over her own little beeper, her watch and whatever else remained of titan technology.

"We're beyond their help", I said, throwing the items into the waves, along with mine, and the wounded Engineer Benson's.

Mary went on to check if any of the girls had smart devices or toys with them, but they were banned to bring them to the classes, so none was found. They were indeed good pupils, I thought. A pity for them – I never meant this to happen, whatever the titans would think of us afterwards. I felt sad for Moom Lala, as they had always been genuinely good at me.

Well, there was nothing I could do about it now, after the Laputans had proved my worst fears true. I reminded myself of Lala's words – they were not a ruler here, just an observer – and that thought boosted my determination.

Eventually, I stared at the gun in my hand. I felt a kind of life in it – it was probably equipped with artificial intelligence of some kind, too. I glanced at Nurse Ellis who had collapsed to one of the corners and was sobbing alone. I deemed her no longer an acute security threat and threw the weapon overboard to the sea.

"That's it for now, girls", I said, and I sought to insert reassurance in my voice. "Back to the old school."

*   *   *

A long time after the destruction of the Nautilus in front of our terrified eyes, we kept low and immobile in the dark raft, floating quietly and hearing just the sounds of the waves that had calmed down. The girls seemed to understand the necessity of staying quiet.

Finally, when we were sure that the swiftcraft was not going to return, I crawled to Benson to check his condition.

"Bro, buddy", I spoke to him. "Are you with us?"

He murmured something, which told me he was conscious.

"You rest", I said. "The wound has been bandaged and there's no more bleeding."

"Thank God for a proper medical kit", said Mary, and then glanced at Nurse Ellis who had done most of the work to undo what she had done to Benson. "What are we going to do with her?"

"She's with us now", I said quietly. Caroline didn't seem to notice our conversation. She was sunk in self-pity. "I think she realizes there's no return for her either."

"Mikael..." uttered Mary, and her enlarged pupils were looking at me in fear.

"Yes, Darling", I whispered, still punning on her surname.

"How are we ever going to survive?" she sighed. "We're on an open sea. This is a strange planet, filled with cruel forces of nature, and vast underwater beasts."

I pulled her closer to me. "There's got to be an island. I feel it."

"Oh Mikael..."

"We've got to take care of these girls", I said, suddenly realizing that most of the little pairs of eyes in the lifeboat were aware and staring at us. Mary, instantly feeling her responsibilities as a teacher, released herself from my arms, and lovingly smiled at the girls.