I inspected her, she looked friendly enough. However, I couldn't truly be sure if I could trust her with anything of importance. She worked for the Dark Lord, after all. So, I decided I would choose my words carefully around her. "It's nice to meet you, Lucinda. As of this moment, I require no assistance, however, a warm bubble bath after dinner would be great." 

   "Of course," she nodded. "I'll leave you alone and I'll be back to lead you to the dining hall in half an hour," she turned to leave but stopped midstep to add an important piece of information she'd missed. "Oh, I almost forgot, your mother has requested me to remind you to wear something short."

   I allowed my eyes to roll, "Please let her know her request has been denied." 

   "Will do, Miss," Lucinda said before leaving the room and shutting the door behind her. 

   My attention was immediately directed back down to the note that lay underneath the silk fabric of the duvet. I had half an hour to make a decision about what I would do with it, before I was to have dinner with the Dark Lord, before he could access my mind as he pleased. 

~~~

   He knew something was suspicious, he must have, he was a smart man. Sitting at the opposite end of the dining table, I hadn't once looked up from my dinner plate at him to meet his cold eyes that I could feel peering at me. I couldn't look, because if I did, he would know all of my energy was being directed to conceal one part of my mind, one single memory. Why? Why did it have to be like this? 

   "Karina," his voice echoed through the dining room, amplifying the icy power it held. He didn't sound very pleased. "Look at me." 

   Reluctantly, I met his eyes. I had been found out. Oh, how could I have been so stupid to believe I could conceal one part of my mind without him noticing. It was a childish mistake on my part. He was far too skilled in every area of magic to let anything slip past him. 

   "Do you understand English, Karina?" he asked as he allowed one of the servers to refill his glass of red wine to the brim. 

   "Yes," I nervously swallowed the bite I had been chewing. 

   "I would think so, since we're having this conversation," he took a long sip from his wine. "Are you educated?"

   I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion upon hearing his questions. "Yes."

   "Hm," he frowned. "Then you must be stupid. Is that it? Are you stupid, Karina?"

   I glanced at the server in embarrassment, but he seemed unfazed by the conversation. "No, I'm not stupid."

   "Then explain why you are unable to comprehend a simple command such as to never block me out," his voice had picked up in tone and it roared at me from across the table. The server visibly tensed and so did I, but I couldn't force a single coherent word from my lips. I was absolutely terrified. "It appears you don't know English," the Dark Lord finished the rest of his wine before stepping out of his seat. 

   Automatically, my body did the same, so we both stood at opposite ends of the same table. I couldn't control my actions at this point, my fight or flight system had taken over. I couldn't control the fact I wanted to run for the door, or that my body was visibly shaking from both adrenaline and fear, or that my wand seemed like a great defense mechanism to protect myself against the monster that stood across from me. 

   "Sit down," the Dark Lord coldly instructed, angered by my retaliation. I couldn't obey, my body wouldn't allow it. It wouldn't give up its will to live that easily. However, as the Dark Lord angrily advanced towards me, I remained frozen in my spot as I watched him with evident terror in my eyes. None of this, not a single part of this would be happening if it weren't for Mother.

   His hands roughly took ahold of my body and pinned me down against the table, holding me there with one hand while his other held the tip of his wand against the back of my neck. With my cheek against the table, I cried in fear as I looked at the server for help, but he just stood there with his head down, just as scared as I was. 

   "I thought we could be civil," the Dark Lord applied more pressure with his hand, pushing me further against the table. "But you had to disobey, and such a simple command at that."

   "I'm sorry, I won't do it again," I pleaded. 

   "Ah, she learns to speak," pulling me by the back of my dress, he forced me back up to a standing position and against his chest, bringing his hand up to my throat and his lips against my ear. "Show me what was worth hiding from me."

   Immediately, I unblocked my mind and allowed him access to see the memory that seemed so pointless to have kept hidden. It wasn't anything of importance, it was just embarassing. Mother had slipped an array of lingerie options into my bags that I had been mortified to unpack before dinner. I shouldn't have been so ignorant to believe he would have actually cared for it if I hadn't hidden it. He wouldn't even have batted an eye. But now, after my idiotic attempt to hide it from him, he was furious.

   "So childish," he sighed. "Such a disappointment."

   "I'm sorry," I trembled, it was all I could say at that moment. An explanation seemed pointless and I didn't want to upset him further.

   "All this for such a minuscule amount of embarrassment," he removed his hand from my throat and stepped away from me. "I will not punish you, Karina, not this time. However, if you attempt something like this again, I won't hesitate to teach you a lesson. I do not tolerate disobedience and I will especially not tolerate it from someone who is to be my wife. You will learn respect, you will learn obedience, and you will learn to submit. Do you understand?" 

   Holding my head down in shame, I ignored the anger bubbling up inside me. No one had ever spoken to me in this manner, not even my own parents. Instead of letting the anger rise any further, I nodded my head in understanding. 

   "Good, now go back to your room."

   Lucinda was quick to come running and lead me back to my bedroom. Before she could address the state of the bath I had asked for, I closed the door on her and ran for the bed, collapsing onto it in a fit of emotions. I was terrified, I was angry, but most of all I was ashamed with myself. I hated this. I had been reduced to a house pet, something he could command, summon and get rid of as he pleased. I was better than this and how dare he take it away from me. I hated him.

   I just wanted this day to end, I didn't want to think anymore. Grabbing a fist full of the duvet, I yanked it off the bed to find something peculiar. Two notes, both addressed to me, except... one of them was written by me.