His Dancing Partner

For those of you asking for some romance :)

   "Ow," I winced, grasping my scalp for the hundredth time as the newly hired maid behind me pulled at my hair once again.

   "Apologies, Miss," she said, attempting to pin my hair into place. At this point, I questioned if I even have any hair left to pin. After the Betsy incident, Mother and Father had renewed most of the house staff to rid themselves of any suspicious workers that may have been in allegiance with Betsy. It made them feel safer, but their safety came at a hefty cost. Some of the new staff were not as experienced and I had been unfortunate enough to be partnered with an inexperienced maid. She was doing her best, I could see it, but that did not make up for the hair I was losing. Although I'd only been home for a day, I longed to be back in the Dark Lord's estate where everything was expertly executed and Mother's presence was nowhere to be found.

   She pulled at my hair once again and I decided I had had enough.

   "Let's just leave it open," I suggested, watching the young woman behind me in the mirror visibly relax. "A nice flowy style, perhaps?"

   Just as the maid was about to begin again, Mother stepped into my room holding a red velvet box. She was already sporting her evening ballgown. It was over the top, but so was Mother and she managed to make it work. She looked stunning from head to toe, minus the irritated look on her face at the sight of me not being dressed. I could sense a lecture coming, but she happened to notice and take pity on the struggling maid.

   "You may leave, I'll finish up here," Mother said, placing the box on my bed and stepping behind me and taking over for the maid who eagerly left the room. Looking at me in the mirror, she gave a nod of approval before starting her work on my hair. "At least your makeup looks nice."

   "Betsy was always good at styling my hair," I frowned.

   "Yes, she was," Mother said, taking the pins out of my hair and allowing my hair to fall onto my shoulders. "I still can not believe the Dark Lord allowed her to live. Your doing, no doubt. He's not one to show mercy."

   "Wait what did you just say?" I exclaimed, staring at Mother in utter surprise.

   "Did I forget to mention it? The news arrived this morning." Taking two strands from the sides of my head, she pinned them towards the back of my head in an intricate knot. It was simple, yet elegant, but I was not focused on that. My heart raced at what she'd said. He'd listened to me, he actually cared enough to respect my wishes. I couldn't help but smile.

   "Well, would you look at that," Mother gave me a knowing look. "Seems like someone's taken a liking to the Dark Lord."

   "Well, I... Um," heat rose to my cheeks. "He is to be my husband. It's only right."

   "Relax, darling," Mother laughed. "Enjoy these moments, Karina. Your heart fluttering, butterflies in your stomach, pure raw passion for one another, it does not last forever."

   "Pure raw passion?" I repeated but regretted it instantly once Mother gave me a wicked smirk.

   "If you don't already know, darling, you'll find out soon enough."

   I reddened once more, recalling the memories of my heated night with the Dark Lord. "I think I should get dressed now." I wanted her out before she could ask me anything mortifying.

   "Wait," Mother said, retrieving the red velvet box she'd placed on my bed. "I know you would not normally wear something so flashy, but you need to stand out tonight. From now on, you'll be the most important woman on most occasions," Mother opened the box to reveal a small diadem that she carefully placed into my hair. It was beautiful, to say the least, but she was right. I did not normally sport such flashy things.