"Because Rory is the only "friend" that you have, and I have also heard of their engagement," Cami said.

Kai leans back against his elbows, sucking his teeth. "Okay. So maybe it is about Rory and Kaleb," he relented. "Are you going to tell me what the hell is going on with my stomach or not? I know you're more of a feelings doctor than you are with like...physical shit, but I really don't want to talk to an actual doctor because I don't have health insurance, and I don't think vampires are supposed to get stomach aches—"

"Have you ever considered that you might be jealous?" Cami questioned.

"Jealous? Why would I be jealous? Love is disgusting."

Cami let out a small laugh over the line. Kai can imagine her shaking her head. "Because you're in love with Rory, Kai."

"Uh..." Kai trailed off.

"That pain in your stomach isn't a stomach-ache. It's jealousy. You feel hurt because you have feelings for Rory, and she's getting engaged to someone else."

"That literally doesn't make sense. Rory and I are buds."

"Sure, you can be buds. But how does Rory make you feel? Like, really. How do you feel when you're around her?"

"Like she's the most irritating person in the world and I hate her stupid moral compass. I also hate the thing that she does with her hair. You know, when she laughs, and she tucks it behind her ears? Oh my god, don't even get me started on her laugh. Most annoying thing I've ever heard—it's like, can I please find a mute button?"

Cami snorts from across the line. "Okay, I might have misread this, then. Let's try again. Do you have any urges to...hurt Rory? Given your past, and your tendency to lash out on people when you don't have a proper grip on your emotions."

"No, never. I would never hurt her," Kai immediately says. "Like, I've felt like bashing her head in a few times, but that's only when she's crying. 'Cause it sucks to see her cry. And she does it like, all the time, because everyone around her makes her cry. And she has those eyes, you know? Those huge Bambi eyes that look like you just pulled the trigger on a puppy or something."

"So, you notice her little habits, you hate seeing her cry, and you would never want to hurt her. If you're not in love with her, I think you at least have feelings for her," Cami responds with a shrug. "It's the only diagnosis I can give you right now when it comes to emotions. If that stomach-ache still continues after the wedding, I think you should go see a doctor."

Kai's lips downturn into a scowl. "You're the worst therapist ever. You're fired."

"Thank you so much."

"We're not friends anymore."

"That's fine. Bye bye."

Kai hangs up the phone, tossing it onto the bar top. He scoffs, averting his eyes back towards the beach view. He sniffs, picking up his second piña colada. Feelings for Rory, a voice in his mind scoffs. I have never felt any emotion towards anyone in the world.

。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚

Back in New Orleans, Rory sits across Stefan in a game of Uno. His Phoenix mark is all bandaged up with Freya's special magic paste, enabling him to hide from Rayna Cruz temporarily. "Uno!" Rory cheers as she places her last card on the deck, Stefan letting out a small groan as he tosses his handful of cards on the table as well.

"How are you so good at this?" Stefan grumbled. This was the third round he had lost, and he was starting to get agitated.

"My intelligent brain, my beautiful face and my extremely humble personality." Rory giggles as she starts to shuffle the cards again.