Chapter 19

Lauren’s POV:

I have no clue why I'm running. Well folks, that's what you get when you let your instincts take over. 

All I know is that, I tripped four times in a row but still continued running. I was thirsty like a man trapped in a desert, but I still kept on running. 

I was sweaty (yuck!) but you've gotta admit you can't resist me. Now that I think back... I kinda left Normani all alone in McDonald's. 

I need to go back and apologize, I guess. After this.

The moment I opened the door, I smell trouble. But I ignored it.. which must be the biggest mistake I'd ever made.

"Where have you been?" A voice said. It was hoarse and old. Then I figured... OH no...OH no...

I slowly turned my face towards the voice's direction and stood still. My instincts are right. It was trouble. Camila's Grandma stood there, with her hands on her hips then smirked.

You can't trust your instincts. But in my case? Quite the opposite.

I gulped hard. "I was out." 

"With someone, I presume?" The old lady's gaze was on me. Gives me the creeps. 

I once thought that Grandmothers are sweet and friendly but I think this one is different.

"Something like that." 

"Oh." She looks at me from head to toe then raises one eyebrow. "You look tired, dear." 

Dear? That's odd. She never called me dear before. She was waiting for an answer but my focus wasn't with her. It was upstairs. I need to go upstairs. BADLY!!

"By the looks of it... You've been running." She clicked her tongue then held her hand out. "Come here, my dear." 

At first, I was hesitating. I don't trust her. She made me realize that when at my first day here at her house. But I think I being stupid so I walked towards her..... slowly.

She hold on to my shoulders then leaned over to my ears. I shudder in surprise and held my breath for a moment. 

"Hear that?" She whispered. 

"Hear what?" I asked.

"Listen."

I thought she's gone crazy but then... I did heard something. It was coming from upstairs. Giggles.... Chuckles.... Laughter.....

What was going on up there?

"They're having fun, aren't they Lauren?"

"Y-Yeah." I looked down then bit my lip. "Much fun." 

"You've gotta admit, they look cute together." 

I gulped hard, feeling my eyes water. My chest was in pain. Full of pain. I could hear them loud and clear. And here she is, making me feel worse.

"I wonder what would happen if you'd go up there. I bet the laughter would die down." Camila's Grandma took a step back then smirked.

"They're friends. It’s only natural they share a laugh or two." I answered through gritted teeth.

"Not for long, though." 

That made me stop.

"Can't you see, dear? When Austin died, she needed a shoulder to cry on, arms to ran into and lips to ease the pain. That was your role, wasn't it?" 

I didn't bother to answer.

"Lauren, Camila needs to move on. Look, Dinah is making her happy. Besides, you're just her rebound girl." She shrugged.