58

We woke Bellamy and Clarke up first. The three of us gathered around the screen to watch the video Monty and Harper had left for us. Bellamy rubbed my back soothingly as I tried in vain to hold back my tears.

Then we went for the others. Murphy and Emori, Echo, Abby, Raven and Shaw. I told them I needed a break and left them to watch the video by themselves. Instead I paced the seemingly endless hall of cyropods. I stopped above each familiar face. I wondered what they would think when we woke them up and told them they'd been asleep for a century.

I walked into the mess hall where Murphy, Emori, and Echo had already found a seat. "What's for breakfast?" I called. Emori held up an all too familiar spoonful of green goop. "Lovely." I turned to Jordan who offered me a bowl of Monty's algae with a sheepish smile.

Bellamy joined our friends and me at the table; Raven and Shaw weren't far behind. "We don't know what we're going to find down there," I announced. "Interference from the atmosphere is keeping our tech from working. We won't know if there's anyone down there, or even if it's survivable until we land."

"Sounds familiar," Clarke muttered, joining our circle. "But we don't have much of a choice."

"I trust Monty," Echo said. The rest of us nodded.

"Then it's settled," Bellamy said. "We'll take weapons, guns and nonleathals. This time we're not shooting first."

"My mom is staying here, she might have something that can save Kane," Clarke continued. After I'd seen Kane, he'd been attacked by one of the miners. The idea our last conversation might be a fight loomed like a dark cloud. "We'll take Jackson instead."

"We should take our best fighters," Echo said, glancing toward Bellamy.

"My sister is the last person I trust not to shoot first," Bellamy said. "Octavia stays on ice with everyone else. I'll get Miller."

"Echo has a point," I interjected. Bellamy turned to shoot me an exasperated look. "Not O. You're right, she needs to stay behind. I'm waking up the Shadows." Bell looked as if he wanted to argue, but I didn't give him the chance. "They're too smart to shoot first, but if we have to fight they're the ones I'd bet on. I trust them."

After a moment Bellamy nodded. "Wake them up."

"Cal can't go," Clarke called, as I headed for the door. "He needs to heal."

I let out a sigh and nodded. "Yeah, I know." I was not looking forward to being the one to break that news. "Actually, I think I'll grab Jackson first."

★ ★ ★ ★

Kenna was the first Shadow I pulled out of cryosleep. She stretched her arms dramatically over her head. "Nice nap," she said with a grin. But when she finally looked at me, it was gone. "What's wrong?"

"It was a little more than a nap," I told her with a short sigh. "We were asleep for a hundred and twenty-five years." Kenna froze. I quickly continued, "Also, we're about to land on an alien planet."

Her eyebrows shot up. "You should've led with that."

"Come on, let's get the guys." The two of us continued down the hall. I caught sight of Jackson explaining the situation to Cal. As expected, the latter looked less than enthusiastic at the news he'd be staying behind.

"I'm guessing he's not going?" Kenna confirmed.

I shook my head. "Bullet wounds don't heal overnight." Kenna's eyes went wide and she grabbed my arm. I'd taken off the bandage a few hours after waking up and cleaned it as Kenna had instructed before we'd both gone to sleep. "It looks amazing."