35

On the ground level, Bellamy and Kane were in chains. Echo stood in front of them, her war paint smeared from sweating. Bellamy was looking at the ground. I looked at Kane for answers. "Maia, I'm so sorry," he said finally.

I frowned. "For what? This mess is my fault as much as yours."

"No, it's not that-"

"Octavia is dead," Echo said. She held her head high, but I could see in her eyes that she wasn't proud to say it. "We tried to take her alive, but she refused. It was a good death, she fought bravely."

A chill ran down my spine. I felt the tears prick my eyes again, this time I didn't try to hold them back. "No," I whispered. "No, Octavia can't-" The words caught in my throat. The warrior behind me grabbed my arm to keep me from dropping to my knees.

Bellamy looked up. The pain I felt was multiplied a hundredfold in his eyes. I wanted to hug him, to comfort him even though I knew there was no comfort for this kind of pain. She had been his life from the moment she was born. The Blakes had been my family for a decade. I would have done anything for them. And yet, the last moment I would ever have with her would be a fight.

"Time to move," Roan said. His voice cut through the dead silence. My jaw trembled, even as I gritted my teeth and tried to stop the tears. I could be strong, just long enough to get through this.

"Where are you taking us?" Kane asked. I was glad he was here to be the level-headed one.

"Arkadia," Roan said. "Your ship can withstand praimfaya. We're going to take it." The man behind me slipped a bag over my head, blocking my view, as we were lead out into the streets.

★ ★ ★ ★

I tried to say something to Bellamy a few times, but each time I started, someone pressed a knife against my back. It was probably for the best, there was nothing I could say that would ease Bellamy's pain. I tried to keep track of time while we walked, but it was hard in the darkness.

Finally we stopped. Around me the warriors were talking. Their voices overlapped, making it hard for me to understand. "We need to talk!" I recognized the voice, Clarke. So that's why we stopped, she knew Azgeda was coming. Roan shouted for the archers to draw. But nothing happened. More murmuring that I couldn't quite translate.

Echo called us forward. We were pushed ahead and then to our knees. The bag was ripped from my head. I took in my surroundings. We were in the gulch, Skaikru guards darted the cliff faces. It had been Pike's planned location for a stand too. Someone had been paying attention.

"Ten minutes," Clarke pleaded. "That's all I need."

To my right, Roan dismounted and started toward her. Clarke turned and headed toward the tree line. Our cave was just over the ridge; it was the most secure location for miles. "Wait, what if it's a trap?" Echo called after Roan.

Roan looked over his shoulder. "It is, we're already in it."

As I watched him go, I began to think about this plan. If it worked, it was genius. If it didn't, this was the end of the road for me. It startled me how nonchalantly I considered my own death. "Maia," Bellamy whispered. I glanced over at him. "Someone warned them." I nodded, not seeing his point. "You, Kane, and Octavia were the only Skaikru in Polis."

I let out a breathy laugh. I felt tears welling up again, but this time they were happy ones. "Octavia is alive." Bellamy nodded. His eyes were so much lighter now, knowing his sister was out there.